1 Year old Horsfield

Dan Tennick

Hi all,

Well, only two weeks to go now until i get my first Tortoise :) I'm so excited, i cant wait!

Just got a few questions regarding feeding! The first question is how often should i feed him/ her a day? When is the best time to feed him/ her and for how long?

I've heard people only feed there tort's 5 days a week? What do i do on the other Two? Also, do i split food through the day or just give him his food at a set time and let him eat it all?

What is your schedule when it comes to feeding? As he is only One year old, i don't want to over feed him.

May sound like a dumb question to most of you as you may already have Tort's but as i'm new to this. i'm just concerned and want to do right by him. I simply just want to check i'm looking after him properly.

Thanks all :)

Dan - Soon to be a Proud owner of a Baby Tort! :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am curious, are you sure it is a CB, and not a WC adult? If it is a baby, most people feed twice a day, usually in the morning, and evening.

Dan Tennick

Hello :)

He's a CB Horsfield, One Year old. He's around 2 inches in length.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
I am not "expert" level but I can try and explain how I do it, and what works for me.
Perhaps you can get something out of it.

What I do is feed daily the amount she can eat within half an hour or so, if there is a tiny bit left, I'll leave it in there, if there is a lot left, I'll clean it out.

I feed a variety of greens but if you check the Russian tortoise section here,you can find a lot of info on what you can feed. Also it might be an idea to purchase a calcium supplement with added vitamins for you sprinkle on the menu a few times a week, and be sure to soak your little one a few times a week, to keep him nice and hydrated and it's good for the digestive track.

Joey

Dan Tennick

I am not "expert" level but I can try and explain how I do it, and what works for me.
Perhaps you can get something out of it.

What I do is feed daily the amount she can eat within half an hour or so, if there is a tiny bit left, I'll leave it in there, if there is a lot left, I'll clean it out.

I feed a variety of greens but if you check the Russian tortoise section here,you can find a lot of info on what you can feed. Also it might be an idea to purchase a calcium supplement with added vitamins for you sprinkle on the menu a few times a week, and be sure to soak your little one a few times a week, to keep him nice and hydrated and it's good for the digestive track.

Joey

Great Advice! Thanks very much! :)