120 g Tank- Temporary- how to solve over heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
So Ive put some of the toroises in a 120 g tank under the shade outside for a temporary home as I build my soon to be permanent BIG outdoor enclosure tortoise table that will be more natural, secure, and stimulating. This project will take awhile to this tank will be temporary. I got it off craigslist for 20 bucks :D. Now my question is, I know people say glass tanks can get hot especially on hot days. Its been in the upper 80s in San Diego lately and I was wondering how I can cool the tank down. It is already under a shade with a tarp canopy over it. Any suggestions TFO members?

-Drew

Here is a pic I took just right now without the covering.

IMG_0293.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, I would not use a glass tank outdoors....it acts as a place where heat gathers and not readily leave....if you have a way possibly to allow a fan to blow "towards" it, not in it..then perhaps that will keep air flowing....however, I still would not feel comfortable putting a tank outdoors....

One other thing....I would really worry about that size of tank being set up on a folding table....maybe my OCD kicking in....

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
ascott said:
Well, I would not use a glass tank outdoors....it acts as a place where heat gathers and not readily leave....if you have a way possibly to allow a fan to blow "towards" it, not in it..then perhaps that will keep air flowing....however, I still would not feel comfortable putting a tank outdoors....

One other thing....I would really worry about that size of tank being set up on a folding table....maybe my OCD kicking in....

true true. Ill change that and put it on a wooden or steel table.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
As long as it isnt in direct sunlight it should be fine. Make sure to keep it pretty moist in the enclosure during the day too. How cold has it been getting at night?

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
As long as it isnt in direct sunlight it should be fine. Make sure to keep it pretty moist in the enclosure during the day too. How cold has it been getting at night?

still 70s. not too bad. I got the heat lamps at night keeping it pretty good. ya i put the covers during the day. Like I said this is all temporary. Their old outdoor enclosure is now a garden and Im building their new home along the sides of my house and away from that fence.

-Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.