TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
My apartment complex was hit my a tornado, as in where the tornado touched down while we were inside. Long story short, in the midst of panic and evacuation, my tort was left behind. He's in a Tupperware container with no food or water. He's a year old redfoot. He's been in the container for a little over 24 hours now. We realized we didn't have him an hour after we left whenever we reached our safe space and were setting all the animals up. Police were not letting me get him and didn't want to waste their time getting him.
I just got word that search and rescue were taking all the animals they found to the shelter last night. I really, really hope they saw him.
If they don't, I think police may let me through today or get him for me.
What do I do for him when I get him back? Just soak him for a really long time? He's a big eater and I'm sure he's hungry.
I don't really know what advice I'm asking for, I guess I'm just wondering what I need to do to make sure he's okay.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I hope you get in to find him soon... that being said, I'm sure a soak and a meal will have him back to normal.

Good luck!

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Wow really sorry your having to deal with this. Best wishes and I hope you find him or at least he's ok.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh no! How awful for you and your family (the tornado). I'm sure, if the container is still there, that the tortoise is fine. Fingers crossed!!

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
The shelter doesn't have him, but animal control is going to try to get him. I called the police and asked if animal control would be allowed through, they said they didn't know. So animal control is driving there right now and going to try to get him for me.

If they don't let animal control through I really don't know what to do. I might just hang out with the officers guarding the entrance until they get bugged enough to either get him real quick or let me get him.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
Animal control was allowed through and got him. No idea when we can go back, could be several days. This is all I have to put him in where I am now. Anything I should do? Is aspen safe? It's all I have. Is this food safe? Obviously not ideal, but he needs to eat and it's the only non perishable I could find at Walmart that could maybe be okay

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0430.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's ok for ONE meal for a redfoot tortoise, as they are omnivorous, but he really needs some greens and fruit.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank God you got him! I'm sure you should be able to find something outside you can pick to feed him like dandelion or plantain weed.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
My apartment complex was hit my a tornado, as in where the tornado touched down while we were inside. Long story short, in the midst of panic and evacuation, my tort was left behind. He's in a Tupperware container with no food or water. He's a year old redfoot. He's been in the container for a little over 24 hours now. We realized we didn't have him an hour after we left whenever we reached our safe space and were setting all the animals up. Police were not letting me get him and didn't want to waste their time getting him.
I just got word that search and rescue were taking all the animals they found to the shelter last night. I really, really hope they saw him.
If they don't, I think police may let me through today or get him for me.
What do I do for him when I get him back? Just soak him for a really long time? He's a big eater and I'm sure he's hungry.
I don't really know what advice I'm asking for, I guess I'm just wondering what I need to do to make sure he's okay.

Wow! So sorry. I would be worried too.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Animal control was allowed through and got him. No idea when we can go back, could be several days. This is all I have to put him in where I am now. Anything I should do? Is aspen safe? It's all I have. Is this food safe? Obviously not ideal, but he needs to eat and it's the only non perishable I could find at Walmart that could maybe be okay

View attachment 272982 View attachment 272983

YES! I love happy endings. So glad you got it back.