186 year old tortoise Jonathan

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
Not sure if anyone here has seen this, but Jonathan is apparently the oldest known tortoise alive. This article is making the rounds on social media, calling him a "gay" tortoise because he tries to mate with a 30 year old male tortoise. I am thinking this is another clear cut example of human projection, but please correct me if I am wrong.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Not sure if anyone here has seen this, but Jonathan is apparently the oldest known tortoise alive. This article is making the rounds on social media, calling him a "gay" tortoise because he tries to mate with a 30 year old male tortoise. I am thinking this is another clear cut example of human projection, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a photo of Zola with his friend David, who had the honour of meeting Jonathan in November 2003. David was on a visit to St Helena, where Jonathan lives,. with a group of scientists, and has a photo of him standing beside him.( We found a recent photo on line of Jonathan, standing on the lawn of the governors house, and David was delighted to see the old chap again.)
Actually, David claims that meeting Jonathan gives him a special bond with Zola -who knows? He may be right - certainly Zola seems to like him a lot.
Angie x
David-2_sm.jpg

motogirl

Location (City and/or State)
Tehachapi
m

Maybe they should get him a girlfriend..

zolasmum

5 Year Member
m

Maybe they should get him a girlfriend..
I would have thought that anyone who knows much about tortoises would be aware that they can be very indiscriminate as to where they bestow their affections - nothing to do with being gay. In fact, there was one tortoise called Timmy, who lived at Powderham Castle In Devon, UK ,( mainly in the rose garden) and who was said to have been a ship's mascot in the Crimean War, who, in his later years, formed a romantic attachment to a German army helmet - a relic of the last war ! ! He was very old indeed when he died a few years ago, and I really regret never going to meet him.
Angie