1st post. EBT died after 30 yrs

4jean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York State
Yes please send me a pic. Chris said to go smaller for a baby because it will be easier to control the humidity & he said they tend to get lost. The whole cage has been dumped out & stored in the shed. Might make it into a cucumber planter this spring. I'd feel funny using Rexford's old cage for a new tort. Yes the water dish is way too big. I'm really only keeping the turtle shell hide, light & emitter. I'll get a clay planter bottom for her new water dish (learned that here). Thank you for the advise, I need it!

Here are some pictures of my set up. My tortoise table is 3ft x 2ft. I use coco coir mixed with compost from my garden for substrate. I have a 100 watt MVB and a CHI this time of year to keep the temps up. I cover most of the enclosure with foil to keep a high humidity. At night I turn off all heat and cover completely with foil. The temps drop to 68-70 degrees...Chris said this is fine for a Greek. I have a few spider plants and grow seedlings right in my substrate (which are eaten right away). In the summer I have an outdoor garden where she goes for a few hours a day....hoping she spends all her time outdoors when she is older (in the summer, I'm in NY). Right now she is 2&1/2 inches long and 56grams. I got her in March of last year. She was a tiny 26grams when she came. Good luck, very excited for you! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448460922.066497.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448460934.077305.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448460944.178733.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448460953.380275.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448460964.549291.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448460974.804543.jpg

Lissa

Lansing, Michigan
Thanks for the pics. I was considering the zoo med tortoise house but changed my mind & bought a 54 gallon rubbermaid container. 41×22×18. It has a lid so I can keep the humidity up at night. $75 less than the zoo med. I also bought a bunch of plant saucers for food & water. I'll make a bookshelf enclosure in a couple years when she out grows what I have. How often do you change the substrate? Did you grow your spider plants from seed? Organic spices ok to grow in enclosure (basil, oregano, parsley)?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. So sorry to have just read that your tort died.:( Hope to hear you've picked a good-looking tort soon. And good luck.

And welcome to the forum.:tort: You'll get the help you need here.;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Here are some pictures of my set up. My tortoise table is 3ft x 2ft. I use coco coir mixed with compost from my garden for substrate. I have a 100 watt MVB and a CHI this time of year to keep the temps up. I cover most of the enclosure with foil to keep a high humidity. At night I turn off all heat and cover completely with foil. The temps drop to 68-70 degrees...Chris said this is fine for a Greek. I have a few spider plants and grow seedlings right in my substrate (which are eaten right away). In the summer I have an outdoor garden where she goes for a few hours a day....hoping she spends all her time outdoors when she is older (in the summer, I'm in NY). Right now she is 2&1/2 inches long and 56grams. I got her in March of last year. She was a tiny 26grams when she came. Good luck, very excited for you! View attachment 156744View attachment 156745View attachment 156746View attachment 156747View attachment 156748View attachment 156749
An adorable tort! GOD bless.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Thanks for the pics. I was considering the zoo med tortoise house but changed my mind & bought a 54 gallon rubbermaid container. 41×22×18. It has a lid so I can keep the humidity up at night. $75 less than the zoo med. I also bought a bunch of plant saucers for food & water. I'll make a bookshelf enclosure in a couple years when she out grows what I have. How often do you change the substrate? Did you grow your spider plants from seed? Organic spices ok to grow in enclosure (basil, oregano, parsley)?

I have not changed the substrate yet, and it has been 8 months...but I did add some garden soil/compost in August to help my plants grow. The spider plants were babies I got from a friend, they have done great in there. I also have some other weeds from outside and I plant seeds right in the substrate, which get eaten immediately.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you lost your EBT--he was a cute little bugger! It sounds like you gave him a good life, though.

Good luck with your tortoise baby! I can't help with any species-specific things (I have a redfoot and my knowledge is pretty specific to them), but I'm always happy to chat about tortoises in general... and the forum as a whole loves photos!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
It looked a beautiful, alert animal to me.
Best of luck with your future tortoise, you clearly do your best, as far as you know,to make life as good as possible for your torts.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I am sorry to here about your loss. It is amazing to here all the stories of the years that all have spent with these amazing creatures. They are so humble and simple creatures. I have met Chris from Garden state and he is a very hands on person. He has a lot of knowledge and is very caring. Good luck with your new tortoise.