2 More In Desperate Need

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Have you tried the baby food carrots warm soaks?
Today they both will get that, a blended up carrot soak. I have waited to see if the eye is actual shut or just swollen. It is just swollen but we want to give the carrot soak and see if it reliefs any symptoms.
We used the erythromycin last night. A online vet visit is over a hundred dollars then a membership fee to the pharmacy and then I can get the $12 eye drops ....seems like highway robbery, over $150 dollars for a $12 med. NO THANK YOU. If we need to He will go to the vet next week and then we'll get it that way. It'll have to be a run of the mill vet though (urgent care) others are making appointments 2-3 weeks out.

zovick

10 Year Member!
We have erythromycin ophthalmic ointment, will this do? A prescription may be hard to get, looking online.
That is acceptable, but the drops would be better because they have three ingredients vs. only one in the ointment you have. One of the ingredients in the drops is Dexamethasone, which is an anti-inflammatory agent which would help reduce both the swelling and the redness more quickly than just the one ingredient in your ointment.

And the Neosporin and Polymyxin B in the drops are both antibiotics, so with the drops, you get a triple medication effect vs. the one antibiotic in your ointment.

That being said, though, the ointment is preferable to doing nothing at all until you can get the drops at a reasonable cost.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
That is acceptable, but the drops would be better because they have three ingredients vs. only one in the ointment you have. One of the ingredients in the drops is Dexamethasone, which is an anti-inflammatory agent which would help reduce both the swelling and the redness more quickly than just the one ingredient in your ointment.

And the Neosporin and Polymyxin B in the drops are both antibiotics, so with the drops, you get a triple medication effect vs. the one antibiotic in your ointment.

That being said, though, the ointment is preferable to doing nothing at all until you can get the drops at a reasonable cost.
THANK YOU for the information and explanation. Another arrow of info in our tort bag. Luckily I had a splinter in my eye 2 xmas ago and needed eye ointment, so this little guy is feeling better already. Next vet visit I'm getting a prescription for Neo-Poly-Dex Ophthalmic drops whether we need them or not, going in the med chest. The wife saves all meds.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope they do not go back to the people. Keep tabs of the cost, including time, and if she wants them back, they can pay that bill.
That teacher should be fired and then sh*t that just abandoned them.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Yes, that one will work. Note that it has two antibiotics (and one of them is one of the same ones as in the drops I recommended) but lacks the dexamethasone for anti-inflammatory properties. I would say give it a try and see how it goes. It can't hurt anything.

Good luck!
Thank You so much. Eye antibiotics can be purchased over the counter in every state EXCEPT California. I am seriously thinking of getting an Nevada P.O. Box.
I hope they do not go back to the people. Keep tabs of the cost, including time, and if she wants them back, they can pay that bill.
That teacher should be fired and then sh*t that just abandoned them.
SO ....We do not feel (and we are feelers) that she would be able to raise them at all. I'm going to let her know they are in for a long recovery, months maybe a year and lots of cost involved. Ya want them back? Hopefully with all that needs to be done she will pass.

Big 1 is doing better than Little 1. Little 1 still is eating very little and has the eye swelling and redness in 1 eye. But they are getting attention everyday, and I have to admit they are latching their hooks into our hearts.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Just as I suspected…….IMG_1572.jpeg
Here is Little 1 finally pooping, after 2 weeks of eating we have a complete circle (of food). Little 1 has not pooped since we received the 2 of them. I just knew that there was no way she had been feeding these 2 on a regular basis, here's the proof. Of course we didn't hear " I hardly feed them and when I do it is not the right foods " But that's what we were to believe, I didn't not for 1 second. People just don't think "I'm going to lie about feeding but they'll figure it out because there will be no poop." Our torts poop PILES everyday because we feed them everyday, so I knew all we had to do was wait ... and wait .... and wait, till there was poop and we would know how much food they were actually fed. When we received Jo Jo (as some of you may remember) she was pooping out Feathers, Trash and other things no tort should ever eat. I was curious as to what the timeline for a tort digestive system was, how long from Mazuri pellet to poop. I found out it's 8-10 days for the whole process to play out. So if a new tort isn't pooping everyday, it's not hard to figure out what and when they were eating. I have to admit when I saw this poop I was HAPPY as heck, now we should see poop everyday unlike the past 14 days. Little 1 should be feeling better now, at least a little bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you may be dealing with hatchlings a lot, here's another thing to put into your bag of tricks:

For some reason, occasionally you will have a hatchling with poop that sticks around the cloaca instead of dropping off. This poop will build up until the baby can't poop anymore. So it behooves you to inspect the tail area frequently. Soaking every day also helps get rid of the stuck on poop.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Since you may be dealing with hatchlings a lot, here's another thing to put into your bag of tricks:

For some reason, occasionally you will have a hatchling with poop that sticks around the cloaca instead of dropping off. This poop will build up until the baby can't poop anymore. So it behooves you to inspect the tail area frequently. Soaking every day also helps get rid of the stuck on poop.
So I noticed Little 1 has NO tail, it’s non existent. Great tip, looks like I’m a Proctologist as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I noticed Little 1 has NO tail, it’s non existent. Great tip, looks like I’m a Proctologist as well.
Several years ago I hatched three YF tortoises, which I kept together in one enclosure. Eventually, when they got bigger, they bit each others' tails off. Since all three had no tails I never knew the culprit. I kept one of them who is now a full grown female. She has no trouble pooping or laying eggs. There's still a cloaca, it's just real close to the body.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Several years ago I hatched three YF tortoises, which I kept together in one enclosure. Eventually, when they got bigger, they bit each others' tails off. Since all three had no tails I never knew the culprit. I kept one of them who is now a full grown female. She has no trouble pooping or laying eggs. There's still a cloaca, it's just real close to the body.
Yes, just like what I'm seeing with this one. Even Homer the 85 year old DT has just a nub.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wonder 🤔 what's the purpose of a tail on a tortoise, except to have something extra to get bitten off! Maybe to help it poop?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Tammy. The reason the tortoise has a tail is the same reason you don't. Get a life.
I want to THANK YOU. You are always a great mood booster, when I read your funny as H@ll things it never fails to help get my day started in the right way .... laughing