Talk me out of this (or into it!)

Renee_H

Location (City and/or State)
Glendora, Ca
I'd say DO IT! Haha

Building my entire home + yard next year and I plan to incorporate something very similar to this for my adult Rads. This is very cool and detailed but not budget friendly. My pond guy say something almost identical to this is gonna be around $8K.

I spent 300$ on Amazon and used rocks I had around my yard for the fountain pictured above!

Radnoisseur

SoCal
I spent 300$ on Amazon and used rocks I had around my yard for the fountain pictured above!

The exact layout in your OP is only $300? Some liners alone cost $300. Quality pumps with UV is about $1000.

The giant slate slabs aren't cheap and are HEAVY. I see them priced at $300-$500 each piece at my local stone yard and for that OP post you'll need at least 4-5 of those for the waterfall.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
The exact layout in your OP is only $300? Some liners alone cost $300. Quality pumps with UV is about $1000.

The giant slate slabs aren't cheap and are HEAVY. I see them priced at $300-$500 each piece at my local stone yard and for that OP post you'll need at least 4-5 of those for the waterfall.

oh no I apologize for the confusion! I was thinking your comment was in response to my update with the waterfall I actually put together. It’s not done yet, I’ll be moving plants from around my yard more rocks etc. This is a progress shot. I guess I’m super lucky I didn’t have to buy rock then! I had no idea it was so pricy. All of these rocks I sourced from around my yard! I bought a half off ponds pond free waterfall kit on Amazon for $300. I didn’t stick with original layout in the end as when this is done it won’t allow access for the tortoise. I’m doing a cement utility pond with drain for the tort.
IMG_8262.jpeg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I'm a little late to this so sorry....
I AM going to build this and give access to my torts. The poop in the pump issue is easily solved with a pump saver bag and 2 or 3 times a week cleaning said bag. There is tipping issues but that can be solved with a tort friendly design. It is VERY common for fish tanks to use "Under Gravel Filtration," this can be done for a tort pond as well.
This CAN be done and I will show that when I do ours. Fish tanks or ponds work by utilizing poop (waste) and the biological process that ensues.

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
FWIW I built a little pond in my tortoise enclosure which is fed by a little waterfall and drains into the main pond. I have two spur thighs. They walk around the pond, they drink from the pond but show no interest in going into it, walking across it or pooping in it.

Any poo is going to dissolve into tiny bits and is only compressed vegetation which will end up in the pond anyway from leaves etc.