Western or eastern hermann?

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Getting this little guy or gal on the 30th! 😍 are they a western or eastern hermann?

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpeg
    IMG_5021.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Getting this little guy or gal on the 30th! 😍 are they a western or eastern hermann?
I’d personally say eastern but wait for a few others to confirm for you😊
What a cutie!! Can you believe they’re sat there now with no idea what a wonderful new mom they have waiting for them! One that has put in so much work to get things perfect🥰I’m so excited for the both of you and can’t wait to follow your journey❤️

Natalie44

Essex
I’d personally say eastern but wait for a few others to confirm for you😊
What a cutie!! Can you believe they’re sat there now with no idea what a wonderful new mom they have waiting for them! One that has put in so much work to get things perfect🥰I’m so excited for the both of you and can’t wait to follow your journey❤️
The breeder just messaged me and said it’s a western :) aww you’re so sweet thank you! Will post more pics when they arrive ❤️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The breeder just messaged me and said it’s a western :) aww you’re so sweet thank you! Will post more pics when they arrive ❤️
Ah cool! I’ll admit identifying subspecies isn’t my strong point lol, I hear the westerns grow up with such beautiful contrasting colours!❤️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This tortoise looks quite nice, but is already beginning to show signs of pyramiding and you will need to be sure to raise it in a closed chamber with high humidity to prevent it from continuing.
We’ve all advised on how to get get everything set up, she has a greenhouse top set up at the ready🥰

Natalie44

Essex
This tortoise looks quite nice, but is already beginning to show signs of pyramiding and you will need to be sure to raise it in a closed chamber with high humidity to prevent it from continuing.
Good thing I’m adopting the little guy! I’ve already got a greenhouse cover all set :) and humidity at the moment is about 71% on the cooler side and about 50% at the basking area.

Natalie44

Essex
Good thing I’m adopting the little guy! I’ve already got a greenhouse cover all set :) and humidity at the moment is about 71% on the cooler side and about 50% at the basking area.
And the temps atm are 23 on the cool end and 36 on the basking side.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’d try and get it up a bit more if you can, it’s probably because you’ve had the substrate laid for a few days, is it nice and damp underneath? I’d give another pour of lukewarm water into the corners of the warm end, if it’s still on the lower side give the substrate a mix all through and do another light pour if needed both ends🙂
And the temps atm are 23 on the cool end and 36 on the basking side.
Temps are sounding pretty good though👍
Is that 36 reading under your basking bulb?🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The tortoise is an eastern, certainly not a western.
Westerns are much different.
If I were you I’d ask for photos of the adults because it seems a little off that the breeder doesn’t know the correct subspecies. Just trying to help.
I thought eastern too, photos of the adults would definitely be handy!

Natalie44

Essex
I’d try and get it up a bit more if you can, it’s probably because you’ve had the substrate laid for a few days, is it nice and damp underneath? I’d give another pour of lukewarm water into the corners of the warm end, if it’s still on the lower side give the substrate a mix all through and do another light pour if needed both ends🙂

Temps are sounding pretty good though👍
Is that 36 reading under your basking bulb?🙂
Ah good :) yea, 36 under basking bulb 👍

Natalie44

Essex
The tortoise is an eastern, certainly not a western.
Westerns are much different.
If I were you I’d ask for photos of the adults because it seems a little off that the breeder doesn’t know the correct subspecies. Just trying to help.
I totally appreciate the help :) these are the other Hermanns he has

Attachments

• IMG_5025.jpeg
    IMG_5025.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5024.jpeg
    IMG_5024.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5023.jpeg
    IMG_5023.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 2

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
They do look kind of western in the second photo tbf but I’ll admit I’m still struggling to say for sure either way😂 @Tom thoughts?
It can be slightly confusing 😂.. My little one who is 8 months old I presume to be eastern due to markings but colour wise she's a lot brighter than all the eastern hatchings I've seen.. So I'm still none the wiser 🤔😂..

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It can be slightly confusing 😂.. My little one who is 8 months old I presume to be eastern due to markings but colour wise she's a lot brighter than all the eastern hatchings I've seen.. So I'm still none the wiser 🤔😂..
Yeah yours does look quite bright but I see what you mean about the markings.. I suppose it ultimately doesn’t matter but it’s still interesting to know!🙂