Western or eastern hermann?

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Getting this little guy or gal on the 30th! šŸ˜ are they a western or eastern hermann?

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpeg
    IMG_5021.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Getting this little guy or gal on the 30th! šŸ˜ are they a western or eastern hermann?
Iā€™d personally say eastern but wait for a few others to confirm for youšŸ˜Š
What a cutie!! Can you believe theyā€™re sat there now with no idea what a wonderful new mom they have waiting for them! One that has put in so much work to get things perfectšŸ„°Iā€™m so excited for the both of you and canā€™t wait to follow your journeyā¤ļø

Natalie44

Essex
Iā€™d personally say eastern but wait for a few others to confirm for youšŸ˜Š
What a cutie!! Can you believe theyā€™re sat there now with no idea what a wonderful new mom they have waiting for them! One that has put in so much work to get things perfectšŸ„°Iā€™m so excited for the both of you and canā€™t wait to follow your journeyā¤ļø
The breeder just messaged me and said itā€™s a western :) aww youā€™re so sweet thank you! Will post more pics when they arrive ā¤ļø

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The breeder just messaged me and said itā€™s a western :) aww youā€™re so sweet thank you! Will post more pics when they arrive ā¤ļø
Ah cool! Iā€™ll admit identifying subspecies isnā€™t my strong point lol, I hear the westerns grow up with such beautiful contrasting colours!ā¤ļø

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This tortoise looks quite nice, but is already beginning to show signs of pyramiding and you will need to be sure to raise it in a closed chamber with high humidity to prevent it from continuing.
Weā€™ve all advised on how to get get everything set up, she has a greenhouse top set up at the readyšŸ„°

Natalie44

Essex
This tortoise looks quite nice, but is already beginning to show signs of pyramiding and you will need to be sure to raise it in a closed chamber with high humidity to prevent it from continuing.
Good thing Iā€™m adopting the little guy! Iā€™ve already got a greenhouse cover all set :) and humidity at the moment is about 71% on the cooler side and about 50% at the basking area.

Natalie44

Essex
Good thing Iā€™m adopting the little guy! Iā€™ve already got a greenhouse cover all set :) and humidity at the moment is about 71% on the cooler side and about 50% at the basking area.
And the temps atm are 23 on the cool end and 36 on the basking side.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Iā€™d try and get it up a bit more if you can, itā€™s probably because youā€™ve had the substrate laid for a few days, is it nice and damp underneath? Iā€™d give another pour of lukewarm water into the corners of the warm end, if itā€™s still on the lower side give the substrate a mix all through and do another light pour if needed both endsšŸ™‚
And the temps atm are 23 on the cool end and 36 on the basking side.
Temps are sounding pretty good thoughšŸ‘
Is that 36 reading under your basking bulb?šŸ™‚

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The tortoise is an eastern, certainly not a western.
Westerns are much different.
If I were you Iā€™d ask for photos of the adults because it seems a little off that the breeder doesnā€™t know the correct subspecies. Just trying to help.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If I were you Iā€™d ask for photos of the adults because it seems a little off that the breeder doesnā€™t know the correct subspecies. Just trying to help.
I thought eastern too, photos of the adults would definitely be handy!

Natalie44

Essex
Iā€™d try and get it up a bit more if you can, itā€™s probably because youā€™ve had the substrate laid for a few days, is it nice and damp underneath? Iā€™d give another pour of lukewarm water into the corners of the warm end, if itā€™s still on the lower side give the substrate a mix all through and do another light pour if needed both endsšŸ™‚

Temps are sounding pretty good thoughšŸ‘
Is that 36 reading under your basking bulb?šŸ™‚
Ah good :) yea, 36 under basking bulb šŸ‘

Natalie44

Essex
I totally appreciate the help :) these are the other Hermanns he has

Attachments

• IMG_5025.jpeg
    IMG_5025.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5024.jpeg
    IMG_5024.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5023.jpeg
    IMG_5023.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 1

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
They do look kind of western in the second photo tbf but Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m still struggling to say for sure either wayšŸ˜‚ @Tom thoughts?
It can be slightly confusing šŸ˜‚.. My little one who is 8 months old I presume to be eastern due to markings but colour wise she's a lot brighter than all the eastern hatchings I've seen.. So I'm still none the wiser šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚..

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It can be slightly confusing šŸ˜‚.. My little one who is 8 months old I presume to be eastern due to markings but colour wise she's a lot brighter than all the eastern hatchings I've seen.. So I'm still none the wiser šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚..
Yeah yours does look quite bright but I see what you mean about the markings.. I suppose it ultimately doesnā€™t matter but itā€™s still interesting to know!šŸ™‚