2 questions for the experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I have a few concerns about my two sulcatas. they are both about 5 months old and I keep a 12 hour basking spot around 95-105 degrees. The humidity is always around 60% to 75%.

1) They do not seem to use their hide spot. They like to hang out and sleep under the red light (which is kept around 75 to 80 degrees at night). Is this a problem because I heard somewhere that it is good for them to sleep or be in a hide spot for humidity???

2) I have noticed a little lighter color above thier eye brows. Is this because they are dry or just loosing that "baby fresh silky color/texture"? I also picked up some Turtle VitaShell by Tetra. Do baby sulcatas need this weekly or is this something they need when they get older?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just 2 questions? LOL the first one I can answer easy, while it is true that babies do like to sleep a lot, every tortoise is different. Some may sleep a lot and some may not, but it is not a problem. A picture would most definitely help with the second question.

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Phoenix
ok maybe it was a few questions hahah. but thanks! ill see if I can get a picture up tonight or tomorrow

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its no big deal where they sleep. If they're out in the open under the light it only means they feel pretty secure in their habitat (safe from predators). Is it warm enough in their hide?

When you see the skin over their eyes turn white its usually because they're too dry.

I'm not a big fan of topicals on the shell. I have no scientific words to prove it, but I feel that a topical would be like us wearing a coat in the sun. Too much of a cover and he'll heat up too much. There might be a little benefit to painting it on the growth lines with a Q-tip, but I wouldn't paint the whole shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.