Temps for Torts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
OK, I have had a very steady tempeture and humidity readings in my tank since Eros and Gaia have arrived

My hot spot is @105*, Humid Hide is @90*, Cool side is @75* (these are all ground temps that I'm sure is caused by HeatRope) The ambiant Tempeture for the whole tank is @85-95* (Heat emiter)

I also have several other ground temps ranging in the mid-high 80's.

Problem:

neither tort will stay in the hide for the night. Gaia can almost always be found in the same spot sleeping during the day and the temp there is 85*. Eros will sleep in the Hide during the day and sometimes at night (but not often). At night Gaia will almost always sleep on the cool side of the tank, 75*.

When I put them both in their hide before going to bed myself, (they are usually asleep when I put them in) They will be out and asleep in thier other spots (Eros on the 85* spot and Gaia on the 75* spot)

Should this worry me? When putting them in their soak this morning Gaia felt cold but she refuses to sleep in EVERY OTHER warm spot in the tank.

It may only be "New Dad" syndrome, but it worries me with such small ones!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes they just don't want to sleep in the hide boxes. If they are growing smoothly I don't usually worry too much about it. If I see any sign of pyramiding, I make them sleep inside by blocking the door. Usually after a couple of weeks, they just get used to it and stay in there. I don't understand how there can be a ground temp of 75 with an ambient of 85-95. I think 75 is too cool for a leopard baby with humidity.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I have my heat Rope coving only 2/3s of the bottom of the tank and the Heat emitter is also in that 2/3 section of the tank. 75* is the very coolest section, since it is opposite the Heat Emitter and the far corner away from the Heat Rope. She will often be found in the mornings in the upper right hand corner of the tank.

DSCN0513.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

Heating from both top and bottom gives me an steady temp everywhere and a cool spot that has warm air above but cooler ground below. and this is where she likes to sleep at night.

I might add that I get my Ambiant Tempeture reading from a thermometer that is halfway up and centered on the back wall.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What does your humid hide look like? We have found that our tortoises tend to stay inside the hides more when they are opaque verses clear.

Your temps are good, but like Tom said 75 degrees seems to be the magic number that might start to give you problems if you are providing lots of humidity.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Tom has a great method, just block them in during nighttime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.