2 sulcatas

Aaron23

5 Year Member
I have a yearling sulcata i bought our family 3 weeks ago. Im thinking about getting another one. If i do how long can they live together until i have to separate them in their own enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do realize your sulcata is going to need a big heated enclosure for winter in a few years right? I seen your other thread asking about Aldabras. With 2 sulcatas and an Aldabra, your going to need a lot of space. I'm talking acreage. As for your question, it depends on the torts. They one you have now may not be nice to another tort moving into its space. Even some very young ones can bully

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
First off you would need six months of quarantine time unless it from the same breeder and they've been together. I wouldn't suggest it at all

Aaron23

5 Year Member
Yes i realize my sulcata is going to need a big heated area during winter. As for the other post i did its either another sulcata or a aldabra not both. I'd love to have an aldabra ive got the space just concerned about winter. If i can't have an aldabra I'd love to get another sulcata.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcatas can probably handle the cold better then Aldabras, don't really know. Except there has been pics of sulcatas roaming around in snow as long as they have a place to go into and warm up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas, and most other species too, should never live as a pair. Tortoises in general should not live in two's. Singles are best and groups sometimes work out okay until maturity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are solitary animals. This means that when they discover another tortoise coming into their territory, they fight to make the other tortoise leave. When they are contained within four walls, it's quite stressful on both of them because the less dominant tortoise can't find a way out and the dominant tortoise can't get rid of the intruder. By all means, get more tortoises - I have lots and lots. But keep them in separate enclosures.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Even if you have two separate enclosures, it is best if those enclosures aren't next to each other. If they can hear or smell the other tortoise, they will try to break down the wall between them. And I agree with jojay327, cleaning up after one is like cleaning out a horse barn. It is amazing how much poop one tortoise can generate.