2 year old Sulcata tortoise

CoolTortoiseMan

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
My Sulcata named Blake seems a little small compared to others his age. He has recently turned 2 and is only 2 pounds and seems a little small and I was wondering what could because this, I have been feeding him lettuce or soften Tortoise food every day and he has only gained a pound over the course of a year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Sulcata named Blake seems a little small compared to others his age. He has recently turned 2 and is only 2 pounds and seems a little small and I was wondering what could because this, I have been feeding him lettuce or soften Tortoise food every day and he has only gained a pound over the course of a year.
Don't compare your tortoise's size to everyone else's. You'll drive yourself crazy! They all grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. 2 pounds at 2 years old is just fine. I don't care if the growth rate is fast or slow. I care about whether or not the tortoise is growing HEALTHY.

Lettuce is not a great tortoise food. Read the care sheet that Mark linked for you, and see where you might be able to improve things. There is a whole section on diet.

Questions and conversation are welcome. We're here to talk tortoises! :)

CoolTortoiseMan

Menifee
Don't compare your tortoise's size to everyone else's. You'll drive yourself crazy! They all grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. 2 pounds at 2 years old is just fine. I don't care if the growth rate is fast or slow. I care about whether or not the tortoise is growing HEALTHY.

Lettuce is not a great tortoise food. Read the care sheet that Mark linked for you, and see where you might be able to improve things. There is a whole section on diet.

Questions and conversation are welcome. We're here to talk tortoises! :)
could a small enclosure stunt his growth?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
could a small enclosure stunt his growth?

So we all have a good idea what you are talking about, try to take a picture of your tort in its enclosure. This will help provide better info. We might also quickly see other issues that need some tweaking.

Enclosure Size
Substrate
Humidity Levels
Lighting
Diet
Food & Water
Temp/Humidity gauges & where you have them located
CHE? or Heat Pad or Radiant Heat Panel (RHP)

Good luck!

Reactions: Tom