2yo RES and 75gal tank

Location (City and/or State)
Wilkes Barre PA
Hey everyone,

About 2 years ago my son and i saved a RES (Betty) from petco. When we got her she was 4 inches. Now she is approx 8-8 1/2 inches. So she was raised by us which makes this all the more difficult. In 2008 I was hurt while in the military. And over the past year my back is getting worse and worse which makes it more difficult to take care of a water reptile. The 3 hour process of cleaning her tank has now turned into a day and a half process and im hurting for days after. Im looking for someone who can enjoy her as much as i have. Like i said, she has been very well taken care of and i expect the next person to do the same. Betty is a part of my family. I honestly dont want to get rid of her but i cant be selfish. If i cant give her the life she deserves i cant keep her. As for Betty, I am willing to adopt her out. She is a part of my family so i will not take any money for her. Thats not right. But as for the 75 gal tank. I would like to get $75 for it. $60 bare min. It is full glass and is approx 5 foot in length. As, I said before, this is very hard for me so before anyone does take her i would like to see that you are good people. All my son and i ask is you give her the same good life as we did. If anyone is interested please feel free to hit me up here. And please..... ONLY SERIOUS PEOPLE MAY APPLY> Thank you

-Jason McKeown

p.s-Pics are available upon request.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jason:

If it were me, I'd figure out a way to set the turtle up in an outside pond. It doesn't have to be fancy - a large water trough would do. No gravel of any kind of substrate, that way you just have to start a siphon hose to clean it out. Then you can sell the aquarium on craigslist.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Can we help you find an easier way to keep your turtle tank clean so that you can keep her? If you really must rehome her, then of course you must, but I wonder if you've missed something that would work?

Since I learned how to take apart the filter to clean the impeller, I don't expect to have to clean my ambo's indoor pond again. Ever. I just top up the water every few days & clean the filter medium weekly. I use a good submersible filter, but others like a canister filter. It needs to be specified for at least two or three times the volume of water in the tank in order to be powerful enough to keep the water clean.

Feeding the turtle in a separate tub keeps the main water clean. Algae provides biological filtration & only needs to be removed so you can see the turtle.

You might do better with a stock tank or preformed pond.

We'll help you in any way you need.

Wilkes Barre PA
Thats great guys!! honestly i dont want to give her away. Granted, she is a ***** lol and took a few chunks out of my arm, but she is part of the family. As for a outdoor pond... I live in NE pennsylvania. Last week the high was 10 all week. I know they can hibernate but that cold? I have a friend with a outdoor pond. Yea, i make the mistake of feeding her in her main tank. But... Usually the two weeks before i clean the tank, algae do begin to grow. I just allow it to grow because of the filtration you mentioned. To make it easier to understand with what i have to do to change her tank.. First off its in my little guys room up stairs. I stark by Dry vacing all the water out. Carry it down stairs. Then I have her basking spot made with all rocks. They are all piled and it flattens on the top, so i have to carry them all down to the tub, wash them. Then i go up and scrub her tank, then shop vac again. Wipe down the tank. Carry the rocks back up, About 100 lbs worth. Pile them all back up just right. Run the hose up full her tank. LOL EVERY MONTH!! lol. And with my back becoming more and more hard to do everyday things. It makes it very hard for me to do. It usually takes me all day to do.some suggestions from

At one point, I bought a floating dock. That way i just have to change the water. But I put it in and everytime she tried getting onto it, it would flip her off. She is a pretty bug girl. But... I am open to any suggestions. Like i said, I love her. She was my first reptile and is a part of the family. I really dont want her to go so if i can have suggestions for anyone, Ide appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to help. Im glad there are people who understand that these guys just are not a reptile. They are parts of the family. Thanks again!!

-Jason McKeown Sr.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Oh my, by a Fluval filter and no more of all that hard work. I use a Fluval FX6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJQ50HC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 I am sure there are other good filters. As far as the algae do you have your tank by a window? An outdoor pond or monster filter is the way to go. A filter that cleans at least double your tank size. I went to a large filter as I plan to upgrade her to a large 125 gallon tank but I may put her outside myself.

Wilkes Barre PA
Holy Crap Thats a monster filter. As for the window. No i dont have it in direct sunlight. Yes some sun light reaches her tank. I have the heat lamp and her Uv bulb. Im not talking about a tank full of algae. It usually grows down on the side with her rocks. Yes, I have to make some changes. Cant be doing it anymore. Im only 33 but had a few back operations. Ive been pushing myself well past my limitations. I appreciate the ideas. I live in North east PA. It gets very cold here. Last week our high didnt get above 10. She has been raised in the tank sense she was 4 inches. Would she be able to adjust to out door living? Especially with the cold?

Wilkes Barre PA
Hey everyone. Just wanted to follow up. Today my son and i did Bettys tank. Instead of doing the whole rock thing, piling a hundred pounds of rocks. I built a simple stand. 4 posts and a platform and i used a hinge to attach a ramp. I sealed the wood and painted it with aquatic paint so it wont be harmful to her. It worked out well because the platform is half as long as the tank so when she climbs up she has almost the same length of dry basking area as she does in the water. Juts wanted to thanks you guys for the ideas. Im happy. I can keep her and made the job of changing the tank 90% easier. Thanks everyone!!!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Have you had any luck with the filter?

I used to keep aquatics inside and out may have a few extra pumps/filters laying around if you'd be interested .....I'd be willing to send them to you

Wilkes Barre PA
Have you had any luck with the filter?

I used to keep aquatics inside and out may have a few extra pumps/filters laying around if you'd be interested .....I'd be willing to send them to you
Well i wasnt able to get the 400 dollar one. I have always had a filter in with her so i kept the filter i had which was one for a 100 gal tank and then i just went out and bought a second one for a 50 gal tank. I have one on each side of the tank and one at a lower level and one up toward the surface. So far its working great!