3 month old EBT

HawkDoc

5 Year Member
My 3 month old EBT has a soft white segment on his/her plastron. What could it be and how do I treat it? Temp and humidity are between 70 and 85 and substrate is milled coconut shell. I offer fruits and veggies but she will only eat things that move, crickets, mealworms and earthworms. I dust these with a multi vitamin with calcium and D3 every other day. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!ImageUploadedByTortForum1383497056.522490.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It could possibly be the start of shell rot or fungus. Hopefully more experienced with them will come on soon. In the mean time, do you keep the substrate, top layer wet all the time? Is there any places/spots that the top layer of substrate is dry?

HawkDoc

5 Year Member
There are dry spots but she/he is always burrowing deep in the moist parts.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Make sure you are getting him into light, heat and UVB. Try placing him in a seperate container without substrate, be careful not to cook him, and more or less force him to bask in dry conditions for a few minutes each day. I did my little guy about 20 - 30 minutes. Again, make sure it is not too hot, about 85 - 90, and do not under any circumstances leave him alone during that time! Dry heat that heals can turn into dry heat that kills if you little guy winds up on his back. Then give him a nice soak in warm water and dry him off before turning him back into his habitat.