3 types of substrate. Which should I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, U.S.
Hello all,

I just got some Repti-Bark, Aspen Shavings, and Eco-Earth. What types or combination should I use. I just got a new enclosure for Smiley. It is a 4'x2', galvanized steel stock tank (used for watering sheep and what not.)

Here is a picture of what the tank looks like.

Thank you,

Evan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Personally, I like to use orchid bark. That is probably similar to your Repti-bark. You can keep it moist and it doesn't sour. If you use the Eco-Earth, you mix it 50/50 with either top soil or play sand. I didn't like Eco-Earth because of the long strings included in it. And I don't like using sand or soil because its loose and easy to ingest when it gets on the food. As for the Aspen shavings, quite a few people use that for their tortoises. I don't like it because then you have to find other ways to provide the humidity the tortoise needs. However, looking at the pix others have posted of their habitats with the aspen, it looks really pretty and very clean.

I think it comes down to personal choice. Whatever works for you and your tortoise.

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If you already have the Repti-bark and the Eco-Earth, I honestly would mix the two. Repti-bark doesn't hold the humidity like I think it should, and isn't great for borrowing. Mixing the Eco-Earth in would definately up the humidity levels, and give the substrate some dig-a-bility :)

Just make sure that you are feeding in a way that keeps the tort from ingesting any of the substrate. For small torts, you can even lay down a sheet of paper to feed on. I like feeding on a large piece of slate rock, because I think it helps keep beaks and nails wore down.

Kristina

M

Maggie Cummings

I was moving my small tortoises into a bigger tort table recently and needed more substrate, so I picked up a couple of expensive bags of repti bark. I opened one bag and promptly took the others back. The individual pieces are too big for small tortoises and made it hard to walk, and I can't see that it will hold moisture...I'd use eco earth and sand, or my favorite orchid bark or cypress mulch...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Evan, any of those substrates will work. It depends on how you want to handle the enclosure.
1) Echo-earth by it's self could be too damp or too dusty
2) Repti-bark can be too chunky for a hatchling or if you get the less course one would it hold enough moisture?
3) Aspen is dry and if kept damp will mold/mildew.

So If you want you can set up using all of your three substrates. Mix the Repti-bark and Echo-earth together. Set up rocks or a piece of wood to separate it from the aspen. Do half the enclosure with Aspen and half with the mixture of the other two. This will give your little Greek his choice of were he would like to be. On the dry Aspen or on the Damper Repti-bark/echo-earth mixture. After awhile you will see which area he spends most of his time on and know which he actually prefers.

I was using echo-earth mixed with soil and sand to Aspen because Aspen is much lighter and easier to carry out when a change is needed. But I did not pay close enough attention to just how drying it can be. My house is dry anyway, but it seemed to wick the humidity out of the air, Even with a hymid hide I provided, he now ( a year old) has some slight pyramiding and I feel this is due to the lack of humidity I provided, as he is on a good healthy diet and gets lots of exercise and has a bowl of clean water to soak himself in. I have now provided them with a room to themselves that I have bumped up the ambient humidity level in the room and he seems to be doing better, only time will tell for sure. But I have invested in some good hygrometers and a nice warm air humidifier.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I just 86'd my repti bark because I found Fred eating it. I went and talked to my friend at my local mom n pop pet store (who has always directed in the right direction). He suggested that I not use anything that is difficult to digest - aspen shavings, etc because Fred doesn't seem to care what he eats. I even tried shredded newspaper and he tried to eat that. So I have flat sheets of newspaper in temp until I figure out something he won't eat or it won't hurt him if he does.

Dawna

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hi Evan,

I just went through this myself with my Greeks. I tried the Echo-Earth it was just a big pain, the torts get it on their feet and track it into their food dish's, it's takes awhile to dry it out after you drop the bricks into a bucket of water. My adult Greek gets the Echo-Earth in her eye's and has irritation issues. I have not tried the repti bark in awhile. I have to say the Aspen is the easiest for me. I bought the snake type as it is softer and not so sharp. My torts love to dig down into it, it doesnt get dusty, its easy to clean doesn't smell. It is a bit dry so I will be adding a humid hide to help. Danny had some great suggestions as to how to make one. I have read though all the forums and everyone's opinions lots of people seem to use Aspen. You might have to experiment and see what you like.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
galvinkaos said:
I just 86'd my repti bark because I found Fred eating it. I went and talked to my friend at my local mom n pop pet store (who has always directed in the right direction). He suggested that I not use anything that is difficult to digest - aspen shavings, etc because Fred doesn't seem to care what he eats. I even tried shredded newspaper and he tried to eat that. So I have flat sheets of newspaper in temp until I figure out something he won't eat or it won't hurt him if he does.

Dawna

What type of tort do you have? What about using grass hay? I do, and I love it. They get their 1 meal a day, and then they nibble at the hay whenever they want. Works great.

You will definately need a humid hide, though.

Kristina

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Great suggestions from all ~ I'd say that Robyn's suggestion of letting the little guy choose whichever bedding he likes bestest is brilliant. Also, Yvonne has always been an advocate for orchid bark, so you might wanna keep that in mind, bud. {I use it for my dumerils boa, Clea [as in Cleopatra] as it is much nicer than regular repti-bark..}

One thing I would mention to Dawna, tho, is perhaps get some of the reptile carpet; you wanna talk about easy, all you do is take the carpeting out, shake the food that got tracked on it {or the poopers} and then put it back.. looks good, is easy to rinse out & clean, and no worries about the critter eating it, or the humidity being sucked out of the enclosure..

Just a humble purpod POV ~

maevamichelle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Hmmm, I've been using aspen wood shavings; as suggested by a teenage boy w/ a 'Staff' shirt @ the last reptile show (yeah anyhow :)). Do Leopard torts need a humid hide just in case as well?

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
What type of tort do you have? What about using grass hay? I do, and I love it. They get their 1 meal a day, and then they nibble at the hay whenever they want. Works great.

You will definately need a humid hide, though.

Kristina

I have 2 DT 15 months old. I was considering grass hay, especially since Fred seems to drag his food all over the place.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.