6.5" SCL redfoot wont seem to eat???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluras

10 Year Member!
Hello.
I have had this female 6.5" SLC redfoot for a few months now and I hove only seen her eat about a dozen times.....I have a florecent 5.0 reptisun tube in there, a 100W basking light in a 4'l 1.5" Table like enclosure...I have tried to feed her different greens (collard dandilion mustard turnip) and Mazuri, cactus pads,carrots, tomatoes, and strawberries,,,,she just crawls ontop of them and sits there....what can/should I do.
Also, she sticks her nose in the courner and barly moves around. Any help would be great. Thanks
~Aaron

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Your enclosure is much to bright for your Redfoot. I would change the basking light for a ceramic heat emitter and shut off the reptisun.
What are her temperatures and how humid are you keeping her?

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I asgree with Danny. Switch out the basking light for a CHE and turn off the tube. Temps in the mid seventies to mid eighties is best. Does she have a dark sheltered area to retreat to ? Be sure the sudstrat is damp and mist her 2 or 3 times daily. Wiyh summer coming on get her outside for foraging, that should help.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Dim it, cool it, and humidify it. It sounds more like you are making jerky than keeping a rainforest species :)

Humidity is usually the hard part, but a warm gentle rain would probably get your tort eating!

aluras

10 Year Member!
2 to 3 times a day? that seems a bit much. humidity is around 60-70. The hot side can get around 85-88. so you all think its too bright? Dont they need the UVB????? if so then what am I going to use if I turn out the tube light? and only a CHE?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoots come from the rainforest where the light is filtered they don't require a lot of it. From what they tell me on here when they are babies (and yours actually sounds like she's more like 3 or 4 years old) they hide for quite some time so they can avoid predators and they don't get hardly any sun. Dale starts moving around when the temps. are near 85. That seems to be his temp that he likes. I do spray him at least twice a day to were he is dripping wet. They say that Redfoots like there humidity level to be anywhere from 70% to 100 %. Anyway good luck with yours.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...You also might want to take a poop sample to a reptile vet for a fecal to check for parasites, coccidia, bacteria, etc.
Good luck
Patsy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Always have an experienced reptile vet on hand just in case--when you need one it's usually too late to start looking. At least take the tort in once to get in their records, even if you don't keep up with regular visits. Ideally, two fecals should be done a specified time apart to catch any potential parasites in different cycles (there could be critters living in there that could not show up, but may be visible 3-6 months later). Ask your vet what they recommend as far as timing as I don't remember exactly (except that I need to get a second sample in!). Let us know what area you live in if you need a recommendation. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.