How to use solarmeters 6.5

Joetheyido

Location (City and/or State)
UK London
Hello, I have just got my solarmeter 6.5 and just wanted some guidance on using it. Is it as easy as placing it under a uv tube and using the furguson zone chart to put the tube at the right hight for the uv index. In my case Indian stars which says uvi 2.9-7.4 in basking zone and redfoot which says uvi 1- 3? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do my best to put it at tortoise shell height. This usually means digging a hole in the substrate right under the UV source and putting the bottom of the unit against the bottom of the enclosure. Then hold the button down and move the unit around trying to point it directly at the UV source and see what the highest reading you can get is.

In my opinion, and that is all it is, I would leave the tube on all day with a reading of less than 4. With a reading of 5 or higher, I'd only run the UV source for a few hours mid day. This will depend on which bulb you've got. In all cases the tortoises should have plants or hiding areas where they can escape from the bright lights.

Joetheyido

UK London
Cheers Tom. I am setting up there new houses at the moment, I would like to if it works to attach them streight to the top of Viv but I know that depends on what uv Its putting out. I have worked it out to be about 14 inches from light to top of tortoise does a t5 ho 12% tube sound to much to have on all day just as a rough guess as I don't really want to buy to many tubes to try and not end up useing them. Cheers

zovick

10 Year Member!
Cheers Tom. I am setting up there new houses at the moment, I would like to if it works to attach them streight to the top of Viv but I know that depends on what uv Its putting out. I have worked it out to be about 14 inches from light to top of tortoise does a t5 ho 12% tube sound to much to have on all day just as a rough guess as I don't really want to buy to many tubes to try and not end up useing them. Cheers

You cannot tell if the T5 bulb is too strong at 14" until you see what reading you get from the solarmeter. I would guess that it may be too much. With my young tortoises (under 3" or 4"), I use T8 bulbs and shoot for an average reading of 3.0 or so and leave the lights on for 16 hours daily. I say average reading because I use the 48" bulbs and those show different readings at different ends of the bulb. One end might be 2.9 and the other end 3.4 or 3.5.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I agree with what Mr. Zovickian said. I also think 14" will be too close for a 12%HO bulb, but your meter will tell you. That is about the right distance for a ZooMed 10.0HO t5 bulb, but again, only your meter can answer this question.

My preference is to run a T8 regular daylight bulb in the 5000-6500K color range all day long, and then have an HO UV tube come on for a few hours mid day. This more closely simulates the mid day brightness and UV spike that happens outside. All this along with a basking bulb on a timer, and a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient temps, depending on which species we are talking about.

Joetheyido

UK London
Cheers for feedback. I will order a couple and play around with them with my solarmeter. What sort of size? Would a 4ft tube be ok, which would cover half of 8ft x 2 x2 Viv I have be ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cheers for feedback. I will order a couple and play around with them with my solarmeter. What sort of size? Would a 4ft tube be ok, which would cover half of 8ft x 2 x2 Viv I have be ok?
Yes. The 48", or 46" if its an HO bulb will be good for your enclosure.

Joetheyido

UK London
I went and picked up a 6% 39w t5 34inch for Redfoot and the meter is showing 0.9 without a reflector at the rough hight he will be at or 1.5 with a reflector, would those be ok for all day use?IMG_20180305_172603.jpgIMG_20180305_173206.jpg1520272017417.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That should be fine for all day use for a RF.

Joetheyido

UK London
Cheers Tom. If you don't mind me asking another question, I have the Arcadia electronic t5 2x54w controller. I have just tried putting the t5 54 watt tube in but the ends light up briefly then turn off, would that be that I have to have another 54w tube in the other connecters to get it to work or does that sound like the tube is broken? Thanks

Joetheyido

UK London
Cheers mark, it work with a smaller wattage bulb by itself but not with the 54w one. Will pick one up and try it

Joetheyido

UK London
Turns out it was the bulb, got new one and is fine. What are you thoughts on leaving this light on most of the day at 4.8 or would that be to strong? That is with a reflector without it's 1.4IMG_20180311_132902.jpgIMG_20180311_134047.jpg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Turns out it was the bulb, got new one and is fine. What are you thoughts on leaving this light on most of the day at 4.8 or would that be to strong? That is with a reflector without it's 1.4View attachment 232811View attachment 232812
Does the tortoise have a place in the enclosure where it can get out from directly under the light? If you take readings with your meter at the outside perimeter of the enclosure, you might find the readings are significantly less - thereby giving the tortoise the ability to regulate its UVB exposure. BUT - if it can't get out of the direct light, then its a different story.

Joetheyido

UK London
Does the tortoise have a place in the enclosure where it can get out from directly under the light? If you take readings with your meter at the outside perimeter of the enclosure, you might find the readings are significantly less - thereby giving the tortoise the ability to regulate its UVB exposure. BUT - if it can't get out of the direct light, then its a different story.
What I have done is put a reflector on top end and left the bottem end of tube so it's only 1.5ish and at the far end it is 0. They have got something at the moment but in the process of making them a hide but they never seem to use it.IMG_20180318_103720.jpg