6 month old hermann tortoise

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Hello ive had my baby tortoise for just over a week named olive , it has daily baths 30 mins to 40 mins temps are always good and it poos and wees daily in the bath until today straight away it wee’d in the water but no sign of poo its been around 40 mins and no signs of anything olive eats really well and has done today is this normal ? Ive attached a picture of olive and its poop from yesterday

Attachments

• 65AD713C-6D09-4713-A85F-0D47FEDCD95C.png
    65AD713C-6D09-4713-A85F-0D47FEDCD95C.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
I just wanted to add i did contact breeder he said it may be stressed as he never bathed them daily only 3 times a week and to try bathing in a few days and see , i only bathe daily as was reccomend on google and on here

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
We did have a traumatic event today where i found her with my hair in her mouth which i pulled out and she did foam at the mouth while doing so

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Hello ive had my baby tortoise for just over a week named olive , it has daily baths 30 mins to 40 mins temps are always good and it poos and wees daily in the bath until today straight away it wee’d in the water but no sign of poo its been around 40 mins and no signs of anything olive eats really well and has done today is this normal ? Ive attached a picture of olive and its poop from yesterday ( edit its been another day today i bathed her in the bath as i saw you guys recommended she did a little run around and still nothing not even a wee i cant tell by her enclosure as the substrate is the same colour and for just over the week ive had her shes pooped and peed in the bath every time shes not straining just sometimes sits with head in the shell any advice is this normal theres also nothing in her enclosure she can eat and her temps have been fine as i check 3 times a day and i do have a camera in her enclosure not anywhere she can get to or even see just so i can keep and eye on her

Attachments

• B2A97E56-7FC0-41C1-88B8-B1E97D48315B.jpeg
    B2A97E56-7FC0-41C1-88B8-B1E97D48315B.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 1

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Please read the care sheets on this forum for temperate species of tortoises and follow them closely for best results.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The poo looks normal. You won’t necessarily see him go the bathroom every time you soak him. Also when they are young they might be poo eaters. When I first had my tort, I saw black stain around his mouth. I was soooo worried because I thought he might have mouth rot. Showed a picture to a knowledgeable friend and he told me he is a poo eater. There was no worries about mouth rot. That was my mind being over protective. 😁
When a tort hatches, sometimes the first thing he eats is his mother's poo. If it's there and he thinks it smells good, he will eat it. As you go along on this journey, you will get to know what is normal for your tort. Many members noticing their tort hasn't pooped in awhile. Will put them in a box and take their tort for a car ride. It generally works but for your little tort after 3 or 4 days. You might take them for a ride and also feed things within their diet that contain more water. Cactus, cucumber (no seeds) ect. Exercise also is part of keeping your tort regular.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
The poo looks normal. You won’t necessarily see him go the bathroom every time you soak him. Also when they are young they might be poo eaters. When I first had my tort, I saw black stain around his mouth. I was soooo worried because I thought he might have mouth rot. Showed a picture to a knowledgeable friend and he told me he is a poo eater. There was no worries about mouth rot. That was my mind being over protective. 😁
When a tort hatches, sometimes the first thing he eats is his mother's poo. If it's there and he thinks it smells good, he will eat it. As you go along on this journey, you will get to know what is normal for your tort. Many members noticing their tort hasn't pooped in awhile. Will put them in a box and take their tort for a car ride. It generally works but for your little tort after 3 or 4 days. You might take them for a ride and also feed things within their diet that contain more water. Cactus, cucumber (no seeds) ect. Exercise also is part of keeping your tort regular.
I like to call poo eaters... recyclers. 😁

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello ive had my baby tortoise for just over a week named olive , it has daily baths 30 mins to 40 mins temps are always good and it poos and wees daily in the bath until today straight away it wee’d in the water but no sign of poo its been around 40 mins and no signs of anything olive eats really well and has done today is this normal ? Ive attached a picture of olive and its poop from yesterday ( edit its been another day today i bathed her in the bath as i saw you guys recommended she did a little run around and still nothing not even a wee i cant tell by her enclosure as the substrate is the same colour and for just over the week ive had her shes pooped and peed in the bath every time shes not straining just sometimes sits with head in the shell any advice is this normal theres also nothing in her enclosure she can eat and her temps have been fine as i check 3 times a day and i do have a camera in her enclosure not anywhere she can get to or even see just so i can keep and eye on her
They don't always poop every day. Sometimes they skip a day. When they are adults, they might only defecate once a week.