9 months buried underground

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
9 months ago my favorite female Russian tortoise went missing. The gardener had knocked a slot between the cinderblock wall and we thought she had escaped. Just today we are moving so we are removing the enclosure walls from the ground and we found her 2ft deep buried underground. I put her in the sun and in a few minutes she woke up and starting walking. It happened that she went into the Sulcata’s enclosure and the reckless sully buried her as he was digging his borrow. It’s amazing how hardy and strong these animals can be. Just wanted to share this unique story with you guys.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
9 months ago my favorite female Russian tortoise went missing. The gardener had knocked a slot between the cinderblock wall and we thought she had escaped. Just today we are moving so we are removing the enclosure walls from the ground and we found her 2ft deep buried underground. I put her in the sun and in a few minutes she woke up and starting walking. It happened that she went into the Sulcata’s enclosure and the reckless sully buried her as he was digging his borrow. It’s amazing how hardy and strong these animals can be. Just wanted to share this unique story with you guys.

What a great story ... so glad you found her.

Jamie

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I built a green house a couple years back, later installed a secure bottom. I’ve filled the greenhouse with around two feet of dirt. My male in the enclosure disappeared around a month or two before the rest started hibernating. This gives me hope that’s he’s somewhere in there buckled down. In late January my parents are taking the greenhouse down to build an extension off the house. I’m gonna have to shovel him out.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
From what I understand, Russian Tortoises spend 8-9 months of the year underground in the high desert habitats they live in, so this would not be out of the ordinary for them.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
From what I understand, Russian Tortoises spend 8-9 months of the year underground in the high desert habitats they live in, so this would not be out of the ordinary for them.

That is correct but they break up the periods, brumation in the cold of winter, aesthivation in the heat of summer. They are out briefly in spring and fall. So not nine months continuously.

I’m not particularly surprised a Russian could manage for nine months, they are tough. But that wouldn’t be the norm.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
That is correct but they break up the periods, brumation in the cold of winter, aesthivation in the heat of summer. They are out briefly in spring and fall. So not nine months continuously.

I’m not particularly surprised a Russian could manage for nine months, they are tough. But that wouldn’t be the norm.
That makes sense!