A case of the cuddles.. Normal or not???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
image-4122076897.png

Sooo. The girls are doing well. I've definitely named one "Bishop" because she has a distinctive cross marking above her head... The second name is still undetermined.

Here's the Q: they cuddle. That's how they sleep. I've configured their enclosure in many different configurations, trying to give them some privacy; ensured there is even heat distribution and they still seek each other out to sleep. They will get up at different times to eat and whatnot, but, they go right back to their spot.

image-529783560.png

So... What do you all make of this baby behavior??

Best Regards,

Jacki

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
Sometimes it's hard to say why tortoises do what they do.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
My Sulcata's do the exact same thing. I'm not sure why they do this? I just let them be! :)

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
I think it's adorable. Is this something they will grow out of..? Will they always be buddies...? I keep hearing about alpha issues so this is why I inquire, not because I find it to be a problem... :)

B

byerssusan

Maybe they love the company? Insecure maybe if they have always been with other tortoises. Just guessing here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
they are known to seek out the best sleeping spot, best food source, best sex spots etc....so this behavior may be just part of figuring this out OR they may just like being with one another at this point....there really is no exact answer, IMHO :D

danielle

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Speedy and Flash are 2 (in fact today is their birthday) and they still "cuddle". They have done this from the time we got them. They even work as a team digging out their burrow. They lay side by side in the sun. I hope that this continues as they get older. (fingers crossed)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
My 4 babies do the same. They are always sleeping together in one lump and if there is not enough room they will sleep on top of each other! It's very cute!!

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
My 4 babies do the same. They are always sleeping together in one lump and if there is not enough room they will sleep on top of each other! It's very cute!!

Yes! These two do that too! It's cute.. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that this isn't uncommon

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
ascott said:
they are known to seek out the best sleeping spot, best food source, best sex spots etc....so this behavior may be just part of figuring this out OR they may just like being with one another at this point....there really is no exact answer, IMHO :D

This is generally the answer I give to anyone asking the same question concerning why baby iguanas congregate on the branch, or all the snakes pile on each other in the same cave, etc. There's no social motivation going, as we all know that reptiles are pretty much solitary critters (with very few exceptions).

I always use the following analogy. Put a dozen young children in a big room. None of these kids ever have met, and likely would ever get along well in other social situations. There are several couches in the room, along with several areas with toys. But there's only one TV in the room, and its playing the newest, awesomest movie that kids love these days.

Question: where are most of the kids going to flock to?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
ShiningSnakes said:
ascott said:

This is generally the answer I give to anyone asking the same question concerning why baby iguanas congregate on the branch, or all the snakes pile on each other in the same cave, etc. There's no social motivation going, as we all know that reptiles are pretty much solitary critters (with very few exceptions).

I always use the following analogy. Put a dozen young children in a big room. None of these kids ever have met, and likely would ever get along well in other social situations. There are several couches in the room, along with several areas with toys. But there's only one TV in the room, and its playing the newest, awesomest movie that kids love these days.

Question: where are most of the kids going to flock to?
The table with paints or legos! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.