A few questions.

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello everybody! I'm a new leopard dad and I was wondering which attachment is my hygrometer and which is my thermometer? One is larger than the other. I also want to know the placement of each as well. Should I place it somewhere else than where I have it now? The enclosed picture is my current readings. I have the 60 watt CHE directly above her hide that has soaked sphagnum moss in it and the MVB is 100 watts and it is directly above her basking area. I have never seen her use it, which I think is a good thing considering it won't dry her shell too much and I soak her 30 minutes daily and every other day, I mist her just in case. I have decent readings for my 24"x24"×12" enclosure. My substrate is coco coir because i guess it holds humidity well. I spray once a day to maintain that. I know my enclosure is rather small right now, but I intend on going bigger in the near future, but in your expert opinion, how long should I keep her in there before upgrading? Any suggestions and comments are welcomed. And yes, I've read the care instructions and the common beginner mistakes at least 3 times each! And to further my education, I also am reading each and every thread until I'm done. I'm currently on page 18 of 188. Thank you guys!

Attachments

• 20180806_142316.jpg
    20180806_142316.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 20180806_181332.jpg
    20180806_181332.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20180806_181352.jpg
    20180806_181352.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good but bury the water and food dishes level with the top of the substrate.
The enclosure might last 6 months too a year depending on how fast he grows.
If you get the substrate wet you won't have to spray all the time and the humidity should stay more accurate and stable.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
The F is temp the % is humidity. Is that what you mean?

No. The actual attachment that goes in certain spots in the enclosure is what I mean. There's two cords that connect to the digital readout. One is larger than the other. Which wire is the humidity and which is the hygrometer attachment?

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Which probe is used for the hygrometer reading?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-211934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-211934_Chrome.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 24

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oops sorry. I didn't think I could have it right but didn't understand and didn't see a pic of it with the wires so I went with the only thing I could think of lol.
I can't help with it. Never had one that the wires weren't attached

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't it say anything on the package? I think the bigger one is for humidity but not positive. I don't have that gauge.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
The Petsmart brand didn't have instructions! Would you believe that? Lol. So I figured that this brand is identically the same, just different branding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, my guess is correct. I put my humidity gauge by the basking spot and the temp gauge in the middle but closer to the 80F side. I use a temp gun to make sure my basking spot stays on point.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So in knowing that TechnoCheese, where would you place each probe?

I don’t think it matters too much. Maybe put the hygrometer between the heat lamp and the cool side, and the probe in the cool side? When I had that one, I just put it wherever. Btw, that thermometer is capable of having an alarm that goes off every 24 hours, and when mine broke because I don’t think they’re made very well, the alarm would go off every night at 12:00 exactly and wake everyone up, with no way to stop it. After about a month, it stopped working completely and read the humidity as 10% in every part of the enclosure. Not my favorite thermometer lol.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I don’t think it matters too much. Maybe put the hygrometer between the heat lamp and the cool side, and the probe in the cool side? When I had that one, I just put it wherever. Btw, that thermometer is capable of having an alarm that goes off every 24 hours, and when mine broke because I don’t think they’re made very well, the alarm would go off every night at 12:00 exactly and wake everyone up, with no way to stop it. After about a month, it stopped working completely and read the humidity as 10% in every part of the enclosure. Not my favorite thermometer lol.
I was wondering about durability on these. And yes, I was pressing buttons and the thing went off at some weird time and woke up my son. To alleviate that problem I just took the battery out, waited 10 seconds and then put it back in and just changed the clock and the F setting. It no longer goes off. Lol So which do you guys prefer? Mind you that I didn't hit last week's lottery.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I was wondering about durability on these. And yes, I was pressing buttons and the thing went off at some weird time and woke up my son. To alleviate that problem I just took the battery out, waited 10 seconds and then put it back in and just changed the clock and the F setting. It no longer goes off. Lol So which do you guys prefer? Mind you that I didn't hit last week's lottery.

I like using a cheap temperature gun, and a digital thermometer and hygrometer-IMG_0794.jpgIMG_0795.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Well, damn! Where could i get those? I'm sure I can find the gun considering the company's name is there, but how about the therm/hygro? Where can I get that and how much?

You can get both from Home Depot, but I got the little square thermometer from eBay for around 6 dollars, and I’ve seen that brand of temp gun go for 15-20 dollars online. The one I have is a different brand, but I found it on Groupon for 20 dollars.

I can’t find the brand of the little square one, but you can find that one or a similar one by searching “digital hygrometer”:)

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
You can get both from Home Depot, but I got the little square thermometer from eBay for around 6 dollars, and I’ve seen that brand of temp gun go for 15-20 dollars online. The one I have is a different brand, but I found it on Groupon for 20 dollars.

I can’t find the brand of the little square one, but you can find that one or a similar one by searching “hygrometer”:)
I'll look for it on payday. Thanks Wellington and TechnoCheese! And my tort is about 3 months old and is about 3-3.5 inches (haven't measures yet), how long before I upgrade enclosure size?