A little scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
Today I found a single white worm in the water dish about an inch long I did not see any poop in the water bowl should I be concerned.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
It sounds like a parasite or intestinal worm to me. They're pretty common, but can be a problem if they get out of hand. A vet can give you a dewormer for your turtle, which you'd give orally.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure you have a fecal check first, not the best idea to treat for something that's not there. I would also, check to see if there is some other reason for the worm. If there is no poop, I doubt it came from your turtle. Unless he eats poop, then he could have eaten the poop, however I doubt they would eat the poop that's in water.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
wellington said:
Make sure you have a fecal check first, not the best idea to treat for something that's not there.

A reputable vet would do a stool test first before prescribing anything, I would hope. When my gal arrived she had intestinal worms that came out in her urine when I took her in for a vet check. (No hard stool was present.) So I know its possible.

I would keep an eye on your turtle's excrement and take him/her into the vet if you find any more worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.