Box Turtle Paralysis?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Prior to treatment he stayed the same for 2 days. What I thought was paralysis, is the inability to move (i think) due to swelling. He had his first injection on the 9th and although the swelling is still there, he seems to be a bit more touch sensitive on his front feet which initially had no reaction to touch. Hopefully, I will continue to see improvement.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thought I would give a picture showing the swelling. Maybe it will be helpful to someone in the future. This pic is today after 2 days on antibiotic.
DSC08369.jpg

DSC08370.jpg

You can see that his legs are very swollen.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
He is being vetted and that does not seem to be a problem. And, I think he is getting a little mobility back.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He looks like my female did. My female was a bit more swollen leg wise, but not much more. The swelling really didn't go down much when I was giving the antibiotics.
It took about a month and a half for her legs to go down enough for her to be able to use them again. They got better quicker once she was able to move them.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
egyptiandan said:
They got better quicker once she was able to move them.
Danny

So then I wonder if some GENTLE physical therapy would help. You know, gently move the legs back and forth?

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Dee I am so sorry to hear about your little guy. I hope the antibiotics kick in and he gets better really quick. I am also glad you were able to find a really good vet close by, Dr Funk is the vet I use but he is not close.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Dee

I am really happy that you see improvement in your little one. He is very lucky to have someone who is taking care of him like you do :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I gave him his second injection today and he tried to bite me and was pretty quick about it, so I think he is on the road to recovery. He didn't have that great of mobility in his neck so that was pretty good. Plus he had a real good portion of squash, dandy greens, strawberry and turtle brittle.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The pictures are wonderful. Makes for a much clearer picture.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hooray for the improvements! So glad to hear of it ~ Sounds like Danny had a similar experience, so perhaps your lil guy will be cruising in a few weeks ~ {The fact that he tried to bite ya is a great sign, LOL}

Xllnt news ~
Purpod

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well it looks as though Red is making wonderful progress. I went out this morning and he was about a foot from where I had placed him, and it appears as though he can almost pull his head and legs in.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dee, very good new about Red. Hopefully he will be fully recoverd in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.