A moment to gloat! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
So, this week as well as trawling through all those posts i missed while away (what a lot of reading :p) I decided i was going to potty train Ava.

There is this one annoying woman from toddlers who got on her high horse last week and told me "you shouldnt even be conisdering this, she is only just two" and "children arn't emotionally or physically ready for potty training untill they are four". So then she said "well you can try, she wont be ready, so it wont work". This woman has two children, aged 4 and 3. Only the 4 year old is potty trained.

So i really hate it when people tell me i can't do something. Fair enough this woman has some children, but Ava is very bright and can do lots of things she isn't supposed to be able to do even though she only turned two last week. For example, She can name and recognise 10 letters and sounds, can count to twenty, can speak well, has good motor skills etc.

We started potty training on Monday. She had a couple of minor accidents but generally no problems. Today, Thursday, she has been dry all day. You can imagine this womans face at toddlers today and her dismay that Ava was pretty much completely potty trained :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
I hate when people tell me I can't do something :)

My girls both potty trained at 2. Girls typically potty train earlier than boys. One was just barely 2, and the other took about 6 months longer - but it was so much easier than with the boys. My boys were a mixed bag. One potty trained with no problem at 3. He just up and decided he was ready, and has had maybe 2 or 3 accidents at night at the most since (he is 8 now). My oldest son took the longest. And he was still having accidents at night by 6. My youngest son potty trained at 3, but even today still has accidents at night about once a week, and he's 7 now. A few weeks ago we let him camp out in our bedroom on the floor. In the middle of the night I saw him stand up, still asleep and in a dream state, he just started peeing right there on the floor.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Yes, i have heard about girls training faster than boys. I know as a teacher myself that even in infant school developmentally boys lag behind girls (certainly in the UK) and they dont actually reach a level playing field untill 14. There are probably some studies about it somwhere:p

Ava was two last thursday, four days it really hasen't taken too long :) And now i can go and spend all the money i will save on nappies!!!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
RIGHT ON AVA!!!!!

Ximon my son was in pull ups at 2 but it was 3 before he was potty trained.

And congrats on the letters...get the leapfrog video's... they are great!!

Target or walmart will sell them

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I started her on some Jolly Phonics, thats what we have here. I have however tried not to do jolly phonics on purpose for a while as she is accelerting too quickly. I'll look into leapfrog. We have 'alphablocks' here. We used to have someone called wordy in the late 80s and early 90s who had a 'magic e' song. I'm pretty sure that has since been banned :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your Ava sounds like my Ava. She potty trained herself at 18 months, then reverted for a while, and now, she just turned three, she does the whole thing all by herself. Flushes and washes her hands too. We don't even have to go with her any more.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I did not know the UK had an age limit on using the potty?

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
dmmj said:
I did not know the UK had an age limit on using the potty?

The UK does many strange things :)

Terra- i'm sure i can get a leapfrog off Amazon. I'll look into it thanks for the tip!

Tom - yes Ava is very bright and stong willed which works well most of the time but does have some dissadvantages as she prefers older children as the younger ones/same aged ones don't have the conversational skills or play skills at her level. Probably that will change in the future.

So far so good! I am quite relieved that it happened so quickly!:)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
chadk said:
In the middle of the night I saw him stand up, still asleep and in a dream state, he just started peeing right there on the floor.

My husband did this once...

I am not surprised Ava is doing so well at potty training. She is such a precocious little girl, and she was already talking about it when she was here a few weeks ago. ;)

Don't assume that she's all done training though; best keep a few nappies around in case she decides to regress all of a sudden. I am sure she'll soon be a reliable pottier, though. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
She sounds like such a bright, sweet little girl :D

I worked in a daycare for two years and once the kids get to the 2-year old room we start potty-training them. Almost all of the kids were potty-trained before their 3rd birthday.

PS. I do Jolly Phonics with my kindergartners :D

Status
Not open for further replies.