A remedy for my picky eaters, maybe yours too?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Two of my three RF tortoises have become very picky eaters and will only reliably eat Mazuri, wetted down. I purchased a very inexpensive food processor and I've been grinding up everything that they SHOULD be eating...greens and such with a small amount of Mazuri, mushrooms and water. The consistency resembles the Mazuri and I guess it also tastes and smells good to them because now they clear their plates! (I serve it on Hibiscus leaves.) The plus side is also that I can make a few days worth in advance and keep it in the fridge.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Try making your mix with no Mazuri at all and see if they eat it. After a little bit start feeding them 50% blended mix with 50% fresh unblended greens. Before you know it they will be eating just fresh greens :)

Glad you found something that works for you.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

M

Maggie Cummings

Mazuri has molasses to hold it together and tortoises get addicted to the sweet. Try some tough love and stop with the Mazuri and stsrt offering healthy greens. Do that every day. It may take a few days, but healthy tortoises won't starve themselves. I had to do it with my Hermanni. Takes several days, but they'll start eating...Remember, when they are inside they can only eat what YOU feed them...if you don't offer Mazuri, they can't eat it...

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Soooo that's what's in it that's addicting ....Molasses!! Since offering mazuri my torts have been picky & they usually turn down nothing!!! Now, they are snubbing a lot of foods!! I whipped out my food processor recently for the pumpkins. I wil try your idea zeropilot :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For now they eat the blend. Very little Mazuri in it now. They still eat it. This batch is Brussels, mushroom, hibiscus and mulberry leaves, two Muscadine grapes, a cactus pad and half a cactus pear. Also , about 8 of the new, large Mazuri pellets i just got from Tortoise Supply. It's plenty sweet still I guess.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
For now they eat the blend. Very little Mazuri in it now. They still eat it. This batch is Brussels, mushroom, hibiscus and mulberry leaves, two Muscadine grapes, a cactus pad and half a cactus pear. Also , about 8 of the new, large Mazuri pellets i just got from Tortoise Supply. It's plenty sweet still I guess.
I really got to get my hands on some mulberry leaves...it appears that those are a favorite of tortoises. Plus something different for the torts to try. I'm glad the blending is working out for you, I will try it tomorrow for my torts. I also bought cactus pads & they weren't really a fan of those either:confused: But blending it with some other stuff may help for me I Hope :)