ABSCESSES

jvillanueva

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County,CA
Abscess: Russian Tortoise

Hello there, so my RT Glenn has been getting abscesses, I'm not to sure why. About a month ago he had an ear abscess and we took care of that, it had only surfaced under the skin so with antibiotics and warm soaks along with hot compresses it fell off like a scab. He has now developed one on his forehead area which is putting pressure on his left eye. He is on oral antibiotics as well as antibiotic eye drops. He has not scraped this area that I know of. Before this abscess had even formed he was ALWAYS scratching his left eye and this led us to believe that he had an eye infection. He had two different eye drops for this reason. Here are some pictures of it ImageUploadedByTortForum1390875181.624637.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390875251.090869.jpg Anyone who has any idea why he keeps getting these feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Hello there, so my RT Glenn has been getting abscesses, I'm not to sure why. About a month ago he had an ear abscess and we took care of that, it had only surfaced under the skin so with antibiotics and warm soaks along with hot compresses it fell off like a scab. He has now developed one on his forehead area which is putting pressure on his left eye. He is on oral antibiotics as well as antibiotic eye drops. He has not scraped this area that I know of. Before this abscess had even formed he was ALWAYS scratching his left eye and this led us to believe that he had an eye infection. He had two different eye drops for this reason. Here are some pictures of it Anyone who has any idea why he keeps getting these feel free to let me know. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390877292.715086.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390877306.827680.jpg

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: Abscess: Russian Tortoise

My mind jumps to infection, but I'm not sure.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
RE: Abscess: Russian Tortoise

Based on your photograph, I'm thinking that a dry substrate may be contributing to your torts abscesses. I think the vet will have to treat the abscess, but I believe that a less dry substrate should help prevent additional occurrences.

I like a blend of plain top soil and coco coir, because it holds moisture well and resists mold.

Good luck.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The substrate would be my first fix....more earthen type soil/substrate would be beneficial...that stick stuff splinters and can get in their eyes/nose and such--especially since this is a species that really likes digging in...

I also would be offering warm water soaks twice a day during the entire time you are exposing the tort to antibiotic treatments...this is a harsh med on a torts kidneys..really hard..

I also would be careful on how long/how many antibiotic injections are being done...this can be painful and can also cause tissue damage to a tort that is exposed to the meds over a long constant time....over and over again....you will really want to fix the enclosure to help decrease injury risks....

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Thanks guys, I will definitely work on his enclosure and change his substrate. As for his antibiotics we don't inject them we give it to him orally. Either open his mouth ourselves or inject it into a strawberry or something similar. He's been getting his soaks every other day or every two days. We will continue him on his antibiotics, they only prescribed 3ML so we will finish and see where it goes. If this round or antibiotics doesn't help it looks like the DR. will be opening it up and digging the abscess out, this is what I'm trying not to happen. I didn't know that the antibiotics is really bad on these little guys kidneys, lets hope this round works!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree about the substrate, it is a good thought.
Try organic topsoil from ACE hardware or Home Depot/Lowe's. Just no animal p**p or chemical fertilizers.
You can mix it with a rehydrated brick or two of Coir.

Keep the under layers moist. (I pour in water weekly).

Many abcesses need to be drained to resolve, so prepare yourself.

Oh, and make sure you change out his water dish frequently too.
And he is alone, right? No other tortoises to perhaps bully him?

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Lynnedit- thanks for your feedback. =) he is the only tortoise, where do you get the coir from? Petco, Petsmart?? I'm hoping that the antibiotics will kick this thing out of him like it did the last abscess he had. Really don't want to have to get it drained, I hear if that's the case we have to keep the area opened, and that just sounds like a mess

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can get coir at garden stores, or even online at places like Amazon. You can find it loose (even at pet stores, more expensive) or as bricks. You add hot water and they expand to 3-4x their size.
Even just the organic topsoil would be fine!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He's been getting his soaks every other day or every two days

I would really suggest that you offer no less than one long warm water soak each and every day this tort is being treated...also, a couple weeks after the treatment...

While it is some work, if the vet does have to lance/clean that pocket out...after care is keeping it clean/drained and clear of flies...

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Good news everyone, today believe it or not the abscess fell off during a soak, along with some hot compresses.We just received the estimate yesterday for the surgery and it was over $500. God is good. Here are some photos ImageUploadedByTortForum1392855604.628178.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392855622.845245.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392855637.292839.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392855647.632725.jpg