Add to the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I am thinking of buying another leopard hatchling in about 4 months. The two hatchlings I have now are about 9 months old. At what age it is OK to introduce the new hatchling (2-3 months old) to my 2 other ones which will be over a year old?

moswen

5 Year Member
i think size is a more important factor than age. of corse you want to have the new hatchling in an at least 6 month quarantine period, then after that she needs to reach a good size that she will be able to defend for herself against two larger torts that already "own" this "territory."

you could always buy a new yearling you know!

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
I am in the process on building a tortoise table that will be about 3 1/2 ` X 12` I also own a Star tortoise which would get 1/3 of it. I will have the hatchling in it own space of about 3 feet. After quarantine I would like to have the 3 leopards together. If I were to redo the whole setup would that help the little guy? Or should I just make his own room and get them all together once in a while when I am there?

Right now this is in the planning stage. I would only need to get 1/2 on it going, and still have it divided by 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leopards are usually pretty good about getting along, but Rebekah is right about the size differential. Mixing a hatchling with two that are over a year old is a bit much. Let the little one get some size on him first then introduce the three of them in "neutral" territory. Just be prepared to separate them all out, if need be, into their own enclosures.

One they are two or three years old, it probably won't matter much.

Status
Not open for further replies.