Added another Hermanns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

havagliano

5 Year Member
I'm so excited I got a baby Hermanns today. My 5 year old male is great and doing excellent. I can't tell you how thankful I am to use this forum as my #1 reference, and to see and learn from all the tortoise lovers on here:) Clara's cage is in the works (I'm not keeping the pellets). I didn't plan on getting another tortoise today but it just happened. She has the basics for the next week or two and then I'll figure out a way to spruce up her mini palace (They are not together of course until I know the sex and she is older). Here are som pics of Marty and the new addition. I'll add some pics of Marty out in the yard with his bros later on.

havagliano

5 Year Member
I had to post one last pic of Marty. He's just the cutest and sweetest tortoise!

Heather

havagliano said:
I'm so excited I got a baby Hermanns today. My 5 year old male is great and doing excellent. I can't tell you how thankful I am to use this forum as my #1 reference, and to see and learn from all the tortoise lovers on here:) Clara's cage is in the works (I'm not keeping the pellets). I didn't plan on getting another tortoise today but it just happened. She has the basics for the next week or two and then I'll figure out a way to spruce up her mini palace (They are not together of course until I know the sex and she is older). Here are som pics of Marty and the new addition. I'll add some pics of Marty out in the yard with his bros later on.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Murcia, Spain
love all the photos, Im a new Hermann owner a little lady called LuLu, so learning lots and lots about these cuties !!

can I ask a question about bathing....how often and what do you do, do you leave them to get on with it and when people say 'luke warm' how warm is that really, or am I fussing to much :p Also Im worried if it gets cold quick as its only shallow , any tips appreciated thanks ! :)

havagliano

5 Year Member
Hi,
You're not fussing.I wish everyone was worried about their pets like that. Trust me. My guy kept flipping when I first got him and I changed his set up about 20 times in 3 weeks. Now he's comfortable with his pen and his cage and is in his routine and doing great! Now I have the baby to worry about. Stick with the forums, I learned a lot on here. The water should be tepid and up to their chins, which would depend on the size of the tort. I bath my 5 year old every other day and sometimes everyday if he's out in the heat all day. I have a big pond like dish out there, but he never goes in it. I just got the baby yesterday and believe at the age she is I am supposed to bath her everyday. I keep her in for about 15 minutes and she seems to like it. room temp is room temp. if it feels cold its probably too cold, if it feels hot its probably to hot. I also put in a few drops of a reptile water conditioner. I have the terrible New Jersey water that I just don't trust:) I also use it as a time to bond with the tort. I may give a teeny tiny piece of fruit so they look forward to the bath. And YES usually they'll poop in the water. When I'm done usually 15 minutes because then it probably will get too cold unless you are doing it outside I dry them off with a little paper towel and put them right back in under the heat to make sure they don't get a chill. I'm not an expert, I'm new to this myself so if anyone has any offering of advice or if I need help myself please let us know. SO far it seems to be doing the job and the torts seem healthy and happy.

Good Luck,
Heather

missmoofi said:
love all the photos, Im a new Hermann owner a little lady called LuLu, so learning lots and lots about these cuties !!

can I ask a question about bathing....how often and what do you do, do you leave them to get on with it and when people say 'luke warm' how warm is that really, or am I fussing to much :p Also Im worried if it gets cold quick as its only shallow , any tips appreciated thanks ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.