Adding a friend

Harmonious

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
DC
I have a 4 year old, male (I think)cherry head. I've been thinking about adding a friend, or two, for him. I have an 8'x3' indoor enclosure. How much does gender and size matter when selecting a cage mate? I realize worst case senario I can house them separately, but I'd like to lessen the likelihood of this as much as possible.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would add two not just one . Would try to get two females to one male . On the down side you will have to build a bigger enclosure. They seem to get along better with more room .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfooted tortoises are the exception to the rule - tortoises are solitary creatures and like to be alone. They seem to get along quite ok in groups. I second Mike's opinion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try to get similar size as yours. None too small or too big, that might be a problem. I agree too, three works out better then two, but your enclosure may not be big enough. Is this just a winter home, do they have a larger summer outdoor home? If not, I would stick with the one.

Harmonious

5 Year Member
DC
At the moment the 8'x3' enclosure is his year round home. I would love to give him an outdoor space in nicer weather, but I worry about potential hazards. Living in DC I'm always finding junk in my yard. I suppose I'll keep him solo until I can provide additional space. Will it be more difficult to introduce another tortoise the longer he's been living alone?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A good way to introduce new tortoises to an existing tortoise or group is to do it in a totally different habitat or enclosure. Putting a new tortoise into the existing tortoise's habitat causes the existing tortoise to want to chase the new guy out of his territory. So you put them together in a neutral territory.