Adjusting or should i worry

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Last night I changed out Franklin's mulch substrate since it was pretty old and really starting to get the annoying bugs, so just like when I usually change it.

After research and consideration I decided to use soil, since the mulch always dries making dust, but molds near his water, and I thought dirt would be more natural to him.

When I put Franklin back in after it was changed he ran around, ok that's nothing new with him and clean substrate. But last night when I turned of his light for bed he was on his food dish sleeping, went to wake him up this morning, still on the food dish, facing the other way, but still on the dish.

Should I worry that theres a reason he did that? Usually he goes right into his log. I know this soil is clean, we live in a pesticide free yard and it was never near the road or any sort of pollution, in fact it was from where we grew our little garden the past few years. Should I worry if he's doing this? its not normal behavior, but could it just be him adjusting to soil instead of mulch because for 2 years now we've been using mulch, and before that for a brief period, it was sand. I was hoping it would be more natural to him and grasses and greens could potentially grow.

Or I could just be overreacting and paranoid, since he does sleep funny, so it could have just been coincidence. I mean if he was really freaked out or annoyed by the dirt the top of his log is further away.

Am I just being paranoid or is my concern accurately placed?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I wouldn't worry. Torts sleep funny sometimes, it may have nothing to do with the new substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't worry based on what you've said so far.

Is he eating today?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I wouldn't worry based on what you've said so far.

Is he eating today?
He did eat. He also entirely rearranged his enclosure while I was at work, so I think that means he's happy about it. He was basking in the middle of the mess when I came home lol. His log is supposed to be where the food dish is and the food dish is supposed to be where he is, and he just looks content with is accomplishment!

Attachments

• 1405717554769.jpg
    1405717554769.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 12