adopted two redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhite

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west milwaukee,wi
So today I adopted two redfoots (pics will come tomorrow I am about to leave for work). I got them from another member (Grettasmom) as she wasn't able to keep them any more. I am in the process of building a 4' x 8' enclosure for them and i was wondering about what kind of substrate to put in there without breaking the bank. i want to make it deep enough for them to burrow if they want and also so that I can plant some live plants. I know to use cypress and moss and things like that to hold in the humidity, but i was wondering if I could put down a base of topsoil and then add the other humidity retaining substrates.

Thanks Jon

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Absolutely. As long as the topsoil doesn't have any chemicals added. I use just plain top soil covered with a layer of coconut coir for my planted enclosures, and plant the plants right into the substrate.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I do the same - top soil with either coconut coir or cypress mulch over the top.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Thanks for the help. I figured that it would be ok to do it that way just wanted to make sure.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I'm glad to hear you got them from Grettasmom :) I remember her post needing to re home them :D Good to see they made it to good hands looking fore ward to seeing some pic's :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use soil, mixed with coconut coir, and sprinkle some cypress mulch on top. I put enough substrate so that I can bury the plants right in the little pot that they came in, up to the rim of the pot. I used to take the plant out and bury it into the substrate, but as my RF got older he would trample it. Also when when I water the plants I just water right into the pot. I was keeping the substrate too wet, when watering, and my RF got the start of shell rot. Now I just spray the plants and my tortoises, and not all the subsrate.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
They won't really burrow, but we do want to offer a substrate they can snuggle into.

Soil is great, but can be heavy and muddy. It also plays host to a lot of pests, molds, and other problems if you are not ready for it. I followed the advice of Philpe de Vosjoli (Art of Snakes) and made a 'bioactive substrate' when i used soil. It reduced the smell, muddiness, pests, etc. and was pretty easy to do.

Combine good topsoil or other 'dirt' (no bad stuff or small white pellets, please!) with sand and organic materials. The exact mixtures or ingredients is not too important. The sand can be replaced with clay cat litter instead. The sand's job is to be a home for colonies of beneficial bacteria and other micro-organisms that will help decompost waste materials, and battle mold, mildew, etc.

Add some worms, pillbugs or sowbugs (rolly pollys), and a few handfuls of good, used garden soil to the mix. The garden soil will add some starter micro-organisms, and the bugs and worms will help the soil as well as eating pest eggs and acting as occasional snacks for the tortoises.

Add a layer of cypress mulch or something to the top to keep the top dry, and then keep the rest of the soil slightly moist.

I was truly amazed at how well this worked in my big indoor pen!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
OSH sells a brand of supersoil with nothing added a huge bag for like 8 bucks, that is what I use for my plants.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Thanks all for the replys. I am finding out quickly how important humidity is for these guys. I feel like I am constantly spraying down their enclosure to keep the humidity up. And that is with them in something small can't imagine how hard it will be in something large.

I use mostly soil in my large (6' x 8") russian enclosure and haven't had any problems there, but the humdity doesn't have to be as high for those guys.

I like the idea of the bioactive substrate i am going to have to give that a try.

I am not familiar with OSH is that a garden store or something.

Jon

PS. pics coming as soon as i figure out how to do it. i have them in photobucket already.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I personally think that the best substrate would be 70/30 topsoil and play sand mixed with cypress mulch, a bit of coco coir, and with leaf litter on the surface. I prefer to have a substrate that retains moisture, and one that has a more "natural" feel to it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
tortoises101 said:
I personally think that the best substrate would be 70/30 topsoil and play sand mixed with cypress mulch, a bit of coco coir, and with leaf litter on the surface. I prefer to have a substrate that retains moisture, and one that has a more "natural" feel to it.

I like this mix as well. The difference between this and the bioactive substrate system (BSS) is microorganisms. As Philipe de Vosjolie points out, the BSS has a lot of benefits. The soil is 'silky' rather than sticky and muddy. When it is fully innoculated, the soil does not really stick to your hands or the tortoises, and falls away.

There is no real odor. The microorganisms decompose most odor causing elements and help process small amounts of waste. It helps break down food and fecal wastes, and more all while helping with humidity, etc.

You turn your mix into a BSS by simply adding a cup or so of rich garden soil, or some compost starter, etc. You can also add some earthworms and sow bugs to help make it work even better.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Thanks for the help with the substrate. I have been struggling to keep their humidity up. I am hoping that once I get them set up in their permanent enclosure and have the substrate set up correctly it will be easier.

Jon

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Madkins007 said:
tortoises101 said:

I like this mix as well. The difference between this and the bioactive substrate system (BSS) is microorganisms. As Philipe de Vosjolie points out, the BSS has a lot of benefits. The soil is 'silky' rather than sticky and muddy. When it is fully innoculated, the soil does not really stick to your hands or the tortoises, and falls away.

There is no real odor. The microorganisms decompose most odor causing elements and help process small amounts of waste. It helps break down food and fecal wastes, and more all while helping with humidity, etc.

You turn your mix into a BSS by simply adding a cup or so of rich garden soil, or some compost starter, etc. You can also add some earthworms and sow bugs to help make it work even better.

You're absolutely right Mark. The plants in Solo's viv are so big and beautiful, that I have to keep cutting them. The soil is perfect for growing. I threw in a bunch of pill bugs and worms when I first made the vivarium. But you have to be careful. You can't throw in red wigglers because I did this once, and not only did they eat the roots of the plants, and most of the plants, they left their castings which turned into mud. So now I only put in earth worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.