Adopting 2 adult Star

newcomer

5 Year Member
Hi all, im a newcomer on keeping tortoise. Seeking all sorts of advise, guides, solutions and options :) Apology to my lengthy text.

Please bear with me for my little knowledge on keeping torts indoor. I am committed and i will try my very best to provide the best enclosure, food, lighting and bedding which is suitable.

First of all, as mentioned, ive adopted 2 stars, 1 is around 6inch (from head to tail), the other is around 8 inch. Both should be male as i can see their private part sticking out from the tail at times.

As soon as i got them, i bought this
1000x1000.jpg
, but its the 125watt version
and this
pPETS-9424540t300x300.jpg

and this for the bedding
ecoearthloose.jpg

All from amazon, awaiting delivery.

Im living in a flat and space is really a constraint, thus, still have not find a proper enclosure for them as they are currently still residing in their 1.5feet x 2.5feet container.

I was told that their diet was mainly turtle pellets. I remember that turtle pellets could actually do more harm then good to them, thus, ive switch to leafy vege for their meals ever since i took over. Vege like baby spinach, and some chinese vege like chye xim, kailan and kang kong.

My question is, is the bulb slightly too "overkill"? Reason that chose this because of the good review, and mainly because there isnt any direct sun light coming in my flat. And roughly, how tall should i place this bulb and how long should i on it? Humidity wise, based on average, my area is usally between 50-60%.

Next, bedding, same thing, based on the good review. Anyone using the same bedding as mine? How good isit to keep the urine/poo odor off?

Diet, i doubt i can get their fav hibiscus flower, even if i see one, it is also those planted along the neighborhood ones. That why i am only able to give them leafy vege which is easily available at the supermart near my home.

Enclosure, as mention, space constraint. Was thinking of convert a bookshelf, lay it down, remove the tiers in between. is it a good idea?

This is what i can share for now. Please let me know if there is anything more i can improve :)

Thank you in advance :)

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Lots of people do the bookshelf idea and it works well. I lkniw lots of people who use that substrate and it's good but it's very expensive to do a whole cage. I think that's a good bulb but i don't know if it produces enough light. You might want to also get a tube UVB light for extra light on the other half of the cage.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
You can get an eleven pound brick of coco coir of eBay for around twenty five bucks

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Congrats on your adoption! You have certainly come to the right place for correct husbandry for your stars.
A search in thw archives will answer all your questions. But in the mean time, you need to get a few good temperature gauges. Putting them around different areas of your enclosure. Stars need to be kept pretty warm. Especially with the stress of new home. You will probably need several heat sources unless you keep your flat at a constant 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
The solar bulb is a good start as it provides uvb and heat. But you will turn it off at night so a CHE or two will be needed.
You can start here, too, if you haven't already:

http://startortoises.net/index.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might find that a 160 watt bulb is a little on the hot side. But that stand you bought is great. I have several of them. You can raise the stand/light up or lower it to get the temperature you're looking for on the floor of the habitat.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
considering the size of your torts... bookshelves won't do... at least 8 feet X 8 feet is required if you plan to keep them indoors 24/7.... the substrate you bought is good enough....and the lamp too... you should not be bothered much about the humidity because your area has sufficient of it and your torts are old enough to thrive in that humidity... regarding the smell of urine in the coco coir... you have to wash it every two weeks or so to keep the urine smell down... but make sure there is enough ventilation because the smell will be all over your apartment.... considering the size of the enclosure you need, you will require ALOT of that substrate..... and since they both are males you need to separate when need comes because they are solitary creatures and males of that size and age don't go together... you won't want to take chance over stress and bullying.... and we'd love to see pics of your torts... :)

newcomer

5 Year Member
tortoise5643 said:
Lots of people do the bookshelf idea and it works well. I lkniw lots of people who use that substrate and it's good but it's very expensive to do a whole cage. I think that's a good bulb but i don't know if it produces enough light. You might want to also get a tube UVB light for extra light on the other half of the cage.

It is a very bright bulb. It is brighter then my living room lights combined!
Btw, which uvb light would you recommend?

AnnV said:
Congrats on your adoption! You have certainly come to the right place for correct husbandry for your stars.
A search in thw archives will answer all your questions. But in the mean time, you need to get a few good temperature gauges. Putting them around different areas of your enclosure. Stars need to be kept pretty warm. Especially with the stress of new home. You will probably need several heat sources unless you keep your flat at a constant 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
The solar bulb is a good start as it provides uvb and heat. But you will turn it off at night so a CHE or two will be needed.
You can start here, too, if you haven't already:

http://startortoises.net/index.html

The bulb stand i ordered have not arrive. Due to holiday season, thus shipping is kind of slow. Been using bulb clamp, and i only on the bulb for 5-10mins each day. Because the current container im having is around 30cm tall, thus i am so afraid that the lights may fry the torts :(, or are they enjoying?

Yvonne G said:
You might find that a 160 watt bulb is a little on the hot side. But that stand you bought is great. I have several of them. You can raise the stand/light up or lower it to get the temperature you're looking for on the floor of the habitat.

Mine is the 125watt version, still, way to hot :( Is it normal for torts to walk away from direct expose?

shanu303 said:
considering the size of your torts... bookshelves won't do... at least 8 feet X 8 feet is required if you plan to keep them indoors 24/7.... the substrate you bought is good enough....and the lamp too... you should not be bothered much about the humidity because your area has sufficient of it and your torts are old enough to thrive in that humidity... regarding the smell of urine in the coco coir... you have to wash it every two weeks or so to keep the urine smell down... but make sure there is enough ventilation because the smell will be all over your apartment.... considering the size of the enclosure you need, you will require ALOT of that substrate..... and since they both are males you need to separate when need comes because they are solitary creatures and males of that size and age don't go together... you won't want to take chance over stress and bullying.... and we'd love to see pics of your torts... :)

I was told that the previous owner got it as a pair due to he doesnt want any of them to feel lonely. But clearly, the bigger one is bullying the smaller one. Because the smaller one seems "introverted" to me.

Am still sourcing for a reasonable size book shelf, not too heavy for me to move it to the washroom.

Btw, how do you guys wash the enclosure if with bedding? Remove most of bedding and rinse enclosure with water? Any method to keep clean enclosures with "messy" beddings?

Thank you guys for giving me great advise. I am still learning and adapting to having 2 of my own pet. Btw, how long can a star go without food and drink?

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
@ newcomer, you have to separate them if you see signs of bullying.... and regarding the washing, you don't have to bring the whole shelf to the washroom.....just take out the bedding and rinse the bedding with hot water .... COCO COIR is Inert substrate that means you can wash it a lot of times and reuse... and just wash and dry off the enclosure after removing the substrate and then add the rinsed substrate to it..... and don't forget to put pond liner/plastic on the shelf/enclosure before you place the substrate... that way you can all together lift the whole plastic liner to remove substrate for rinsing..... but i still think book shelf won't do.... your stars are really big... for a decent sized bookshelf.......... :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You really should separate them since they are males and bullying is probably going on. If you do, then a large bookcase could be sufficient for a while. I mean, they should have a larger space, ideally. That would mean you'd need another bookcase if you're gonna separate them. Do you have a spare room in the apt? If yes, convert that room into a pen for the stars, leaving a separation part for each. The bulb is sufficient for uvb. But, the larger the space, you'll need another bulb or two at another side of the enclosure. Ay 160w, you better make sure the lights are adjusted to the nights it needs to be so that they don't burn their carapace.

newcomer

5 Year Member
shanu303 said:
@ newcomer, you have to separate them if you see signs of bullying.... and regarding the washing, you don't have to bring the whole shelf to the washroom.....just take out the bedding and rinse the bedding with hot water .... COCO COIR is Inert substrate that means you can wash it a lot of times and reuse... and just wash and dry off the enclosure after removing the substrate and then add the rinsed substrate to it..... and don't forget to put pond liner/plastic on the shelf/enclosure before you place the substrate... that way you can all together lift the whole plastic liner to remove substrate for rinsing..... but i still think book shelf won't do.... your stars are really big... for a decent sized bookshelf.......... :)

Im sorry, but do you mean the COCO COIR can be washed? Literally? I got 2 pack of zoo med eco earth at home and have not start using. The enclosure is still a big issue to me at this moment :(

The big size one always bully the small one. But i notice that whenever the big size one is walking when i put them in the washroom for a bigger area to stretch their legs, the small one just follow behind, haha. So cute.

sibi said:
You really should separate them since they are males and bullying is probably going on. If you do, then a large bookcase could be sufficient for a while. I mean, they should have a larger space, ideally. That would mean you'd need another bookcase if you're gonna separate them. Do you have a spare room in the apt? If yes, convert that room into a pen for the stars, leaving a separation part for each. The bulb is sufficient for uvb. But, the larger the space, you'll need another bulb or two at another side of the enclosure. Ay 160w, you better make sure the lights are adjusted to the nights it needs to be so that they don't burn their carapace.

I got my zoo med bulb stand, and i elevate the bulb to as high as possible, say, 30cm. But it is still freaking hot!!!! Can the stars really take that kind of heat? I mean, if it is very hot, not to mention torts, even human will try to stay away from direct heat right? However, they dont really try to hide, can i just assume that they are enjoying the heat?

As for separation, it will be my last resort if biting and scratching comes into the picture. Else i really hope they both can stay in peace and harmony. Haha, am i wishing for too much?

Btw, any enclosure besides book shelf you guys can recommend?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy a very large plastic bin/tub. I use a lot of those. My favorite one is a Christmas Tree Storage Bin made by Iris. It is 4' long and this is what it looks like standing up next to my filing cabinet:

100_0973.jpg

And here it is all ready for a baby Texas tortoise:

Texasbabiesoutdoorhabitat.jpg

If you can't find that particular tub in the stores, you can always buy two large bins, cut out opposing ends and put them together to make one large bin.