Adopting a Russian next week! Does he need a beak trim?

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello!

I’m rescuing a Russian tortoise next week & would appreciate a little advice. Does he need a beak trim? I apologize for the poor quality photo, it’s all I have. I have a vet appointment scheduled for him to get his beak trimmed right after I pick him up, but if it is not necessary or too stressful with all the change of moving homes, please let me know.

Attachments

• 7E285614-33EB-43F8-88D3-5AA26E312316.jpeg
    7E285614-33EB-43F8-88D3-5AA26E312316.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 44

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello!

I’m rescuing a Russian tortoise next week & would appreciate a little advice. Does he need a beak trim? I apologize for the poor quality photo, it’s all I have. I have a vet appointment scheduled for him to get his beak trimmed right after I pick him up, but if it is not necessary or too stressful with all the change of moving homes, please let me know.
The beak does need to be trimmed. IMHO, it is actually preferable to do it the same day you move the tortoise. That way, all the stress is over in that one day, and you won't have to disturb the tortoise a second time for a separate trip to the vet. Once the tortoise is in his/her new home, it can then relax and start getting used to its new location without a further disruption of its routine.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! Is this pretty easily done without going to the vet? I think it be a little nervous.
If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, by all means, let a vet do it. The vet (with an assistant to help if needed) can probably hold the tortoise more still than you could do by yourself, plus will have more implements at hand which can do the job than what you may have at your home.

Hopefully this is a vet who has experience with reptiles. Do you know if that is the case?

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, by all means, let a vet do it. The vet (with an assistant to help if needed) can probably hold the tortoise more still than you could do by yourself, plus will have more implements at hand which can do the job than what you may have at your home.

Hopefully this is a vet who has experience with reptiles. Do you know if that is the case?

I think I will have the vet do it and hopefully with a better diet and slate/terra cotta dish I can avoid getting it trimmed again.

Yes, the vet is very experienced with tortoises. I reached out to my local tortoise/turtle rescue and they recommended him. He’s an hour from where I live, but knowing he comes recommended is worth the drive.

He’s a 14 year old tortoise who has been in a 18”x36” tank his whole life. I got a large Christmas tree Tupperware box that is 5’x2’ while I work on building a 4x10 outdoor area and 4x4 indoor area for inclement weather/nights. I want to ease him in to these changes. Step one is the beak.

Thank you!