Adult hermanns enclosure size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
What would be a good size enclosure for an adult hermanns? I am looking for both inside and outside enclosure sizes. Pictures would be great!

Thanks! :)

I know bigger is better, just trying to get an idea of what "big" is.

Doodle

5 Year Member
USA
Dan said:
For an outdoor enclosure I would think in terms of modular units so you don't have to cut and measure as much. ie., a sheet of plywood is 4'x8' so multiples of 8 make a good perimeter. My set-up is 8'x16' and to me it seems adequate for a single tortoise as far as exercise space but this is not necessarily a large enough area to grow all the weeds that a tortoise needs to eat. In my case, all the clover, plantains, and dandelions growing in the enclosure have been eaten so I have to collect them from other parts of my yard and feed from a terra cotta flower saucer.

It's hard to provide a lot of space inside but the biggest area that you can provide and maintain within the correct temperature/humidity parameters should be your goal. My indoor set-up is an oval cattle watering trough that measures about 3'x4'. I know it will be a bit small for exercise (although the thermal gradient is adequate) but it's a lot bigger than any aquarium and hopefully I can hibernate for part of the winter.

That is along the lines of what size I was thinking for outdoors. I could probably go a little bigger indoors. Do you have any pictures of your setups? I am hoping to get a hatchling late this year so I guess I should start growing plants now lol.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since this is purely a matter of opinion, I will state mine. I also think that 4x8' should be a minimum size for indoor housing. Outdoors, I think it best to utilize whatever space you have available and practical. In all my years and all the enclosures I have built, I have never once thought to myself upon completion, "Hmm... Should have made it smaller." I have, however, many times remarked that I wish I had made them bigger, and then I often do. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Our indoor enclosure is 6' by 2', and we break up Dante's sight-lines with looots of plants. Those keep him doing laps all day. We're considering adding a second level to his enclosure to maximize romping room....I really wish we could provide a larger enclosure, and an outdoor enclosure, but our living situation changed suddenly not long after we got Dante :( He still gets outside, but they are supervised visits to the backyard which annoys him. How dare I stop him from plummeting down the rocky ledge at the edge of our yard! The NERVE!

Doodle

5 Year Member
USA
Tom said:
Since this is purely a matter of opinion, I will state mine. I also think that 4x8' should be a minimum size for indoor housing. Outdoors, I think it best to utilize whatever space you have available and practical. In all my years and all the enclosures I have built, I have never once thought to myself upon completion, "Hmm... Should have made it smaller." I have, however, many times remarked that I wish I had made them bigger, and then I often do. :)

I have a small fenced in yard so I will have to see how big I can go while still leaving room for the dogs to run. He will probably stay outside most days and come in at night or when it snows.

Pokeymeg said:
Our indoor enclosure is 6' by 2', and we break up Dante's sight-lines with looots of plants. Those keep him doing laps all day. We're considering adding a second level to his enclosure to maximize romping room....I really wish we could provide a larger enclosure, and an outdoor enclosure, but our living situation changed suddenly not long after we got Dante :( He still gets outside, but they are supervised visits to the backyard which annoys him. How dare I stop him from plummeting down the rocky ledge at the edge of our yard! The NERVE!

I would love to see pics of your enclosure! Lol at trying to keep him from falling down the ledge!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Currently, my three live in an enclosure of a bit less than 8' X 5', which is really much too small, for 3, but it was built for a single tortoise, Jennifer...my plans were to build it into a much larger enclosure, but we now know that we're moving out of state in about 6 months, so after the move, I plan to build a new enclosure of at least about 16' X 16', preferably 24' X 16' or even a little larger...like Tom, I doubt it's possible to given them too much room.

And, like Dan, I currently have to bring them more edible plants than can be grown inside of their present home, so whenever I run across a good weed patch, I harvest and dry quite a bit, to be mixed with soaked Marion tortoise kibble for winter feed, along with cactus pads and dark green vegetables.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Adult hermanns enclosure size?

Doodle said:
Tom said:

I have a small fenced in yard so I will have to see how big I can go while still leaving room for the dogs to run. He will probably stay outside most days and come in at night or when it snows.

Pokeymeg said:

I would love to see pics of your enclosure! Lol at trying to keep him from falling down the ledge!

1375711524621.jpg

Here you go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodle

5 Year Member
USA
Pokeymeg said:
Here you go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

What a nice enclosure! Thanks for the pic. It gives me a few ideas. :)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I like that your plans are in containers. I am not good with plants, so I will give that a try vs plastic plants.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
That looks like a very nice indoor home. Is the water a fountain?

Ann from CT

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
AnnV said:
That looks like a very nice indoor home. Is the water a fountain?

Ann from CT

Yes, it is! I have a thread about the fountain somewhere on here!

It's technically a dog water bowl, but it fits our needs :)

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Pokey, I love your enclosure! Definitely think something like that is useful for me to see while I'm planning to create my enclosure for when I get my lil' baby Hermann. Love the idea with the real plants. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
reatrocity said:
Pokey, I love your enclosure! Definitely think something like that is useful for me to see while I'm planning to create my enclosure for when I get my lil' baby Hermann. Love the idea with the real plants. :)

Oh thank you! I'm always trying to improve it :)

I wouldn't use the fountain (at least not this model) for a baby tortoise. It is too big and dangerous for a little guy, even with rocks on the bottom!

Real plants are the best! Spider plants make their own babies and take a beating, AND are safe (though Dante doesn't nibble on them).

Status
Not open for further replies.