Advice for introducing new tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

katies

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
Hi All,
We got our first RF last winter - a female, Lily (formerly known as Louie on the forum before we learned her gender). Lily is about 7 inches long. We have her in a large 100 gallon tank with as much outdoor time as our NW weather permits. She seems happy and thriving.

We recently learned of a MALE redfoot who needs rehoming and we are considering adopting him. He is 11 inches long (including the prominent dome of his carpace) and the current keepers have had him for 5 years with no health concerns per their report.

I would plan to keep him in his current enclosure for a while to reduce re-homing stress and decrease disease. Can any of you experienced tort keepers give any words of advice or caution here for how and when and if I should introduce this guy to my girl? Thanks so much!

Katie

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I keep mine separate so I can only tell you from reading posts that the male may stress the female by trying to mate all the time. You would need a big enclosure to help her get away from him if he starts bulling her.

katies

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
Thanks Missy! This would be a big concern. Maybe we should reconsider this plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.