Huge shell ridge line forming now - please comment?

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi All redfoot keepers:

My "baby" rescue has been growing at a really aggressive rate since about 4 months after we adopted him, got him treated for various deficiencies and ailments, and then put him in his own, large table and getting him outside to exercise in our 80' x 60' yard (always supervised closely) and tortoise-planted garden.

This high rate of growth doesn't seem very "normal" to us, and his sibling is about 25% of his size and weight, but we can't judge by that because the sib was allergic to Baytril for his severe RI, and had some other contributing factors, so he's just growing slowly on his own timeframe, we believe, and due to being dehydrated and malnourished his entire life prior to our adopting him.

Recently, as they are both slowing down and not getting outside due to the cold weather where we live, we are seeing this VERY large ridge line forming along the back of the largest one's shell. We are soaking him every day as long as he likes, and feeding a good balanced redfoot diet including all fresh dark greens, a bit of Mazuri, a bit of fruit when we can get good fresh fruit at the organic produce stand- nothing has changed in his diet or care for about 8 months, since we moved him to his new, large table.

He's also still really interactive with us, alert, and very active and curious physically.

What should I "do" for this ridgeline please- we have never seen one this high on any of our 3 redfoots before.

Thanks for any advice and help in case we are doing something with him that may be causing this irregular growth.
Karenridge_Lines_composite.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I really don't see anything wrong with it, but my rescued reds are lumpy bumpy monsters. I think he looks beautiful. Can you maybe take a more 'side angled' pic in case I'm just not able to see what you are seeing from this angle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm guessing the pictures don't really show what you're seeing, because I don't see anything to be worried about.

I have found it helpful to take a Q-tip and paint only the new growth areas around the outside of each scute with mineral oil (coconut oil would be ok too). Let it absorb for a half hour or so, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cotton cloth.

I must say, that is one mighty impressive-looking RF tortoise.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
I really don't see anything wrong with it, but my rescued reds are lumpy bumpy monsters. I think he looks beautiful. Can you maybe take a more 'side angled' pic in case I'm just not able to see what you are seeing from this angle?

LOL! - this guy was underweight, dragging himself along on his belly because he was too weak to stand, and his shell was really teeny and bumpy compared to his head when we rescued him and his sib Pumpkin (Kiki)...

Once we got the vitamin A levels up with lots of dark leafies (no shots according to Yvonne G- thank you!), his eyes less swollen, good long soaks 2-3 times per day, his nutrition consistent along with his calcium with D3, and about $2k in vet bills paid off- he started EATING, and I mean SERIOUSLY EATING, and hasn't looked back.

He weighs almost 5 pounds and he's only around 2 years old!!! He's got the most wonderful laid-back temperament too. He comes up to me, sits on top my foot until I pick him up and put him in my lap, then he turns towards me, buries his little face in my shirt, and falls asleep like that for hours if I let him stay and if my legs don't fall asleep from his weight. I adore this guy.

Just worried because this prominent "ridge line" around a couple of his scutes is new. Thank you- I'll get some side shots tomorrow in better light and post them here...

Thanks,
Karen

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm guessing the pictures don't really show what you're seeing, because I don't see anything to be worried about.

I have found it helpful to take a Q-tip and paint only the new growth areas around the outside of each scute with mineral oil (coconut oil would be ok too). Let it absorb for a half hour or so, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cotton cloth.

I must say, that is one mighty impressive-looking RF tortoise.

Thank you so much Yvonne! I have just had to keep them in for about 2 weeks straight, with only a couple of short hours outside at noon recently, since it has been so cold and windy-rainy here in the SF Bay area lately. I'll "grease them up" with the pure coconut oil I have for them and then buff them and see if that will help- I do know they get drier in winter, in the artificial heat, no matter how much I soak them. Our skin gets dry in winter too, so I know they feel it.

Thanks for saying he's impressive-looking too, that means a LOT coming from you Yvonne! It's been a long journey to get him in this kind of shape- it takes vigilance every single day when you bring home these these half-dead rescues, as you well know! This little guy is my heart and so far, a real success story (sometimes in spite of me. LOL)

Thanks for your response,
Karen

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi All redfoot keepers:

My "baby" rescue has been growing at a really aggressive rate since about 4 months after we adopted him, got him treated for various deficiencies and ailments, and then put him in his own, large table and getting him outside to exercise in our 80' x 60' yard (always supervised closely) and tortoise-planted garden.

This high rate of growth doesn't seem very "normal" to us, and his sibling is about 25% of his size and weight, but we can't judge by that because the sib was allergic to Baytril for his severe RI, and had some other contributing factors, so he's just growing slowly on his own timeframe, we believe, and due to being dehydrated and malnourished his entire life prior to our adopting him.

Recently, as they are both slowing down and not getting outside due to the cold weather where we live, we are seeing this VERY large ridge line forming along the back of the largest one's shell. We are soaking him every day as long as he likes, and feeding a good balanced redfoot diet including all fresh dark greens, a bit of Mazuri, a bit of fruit when we can get good fresh fruit at the organic produce stand- nothing has changed in his diet or care for about 8 months, since we moved him to his new, large table.

He's also still really interactive with us, alert, and very active and curious physically.

What should I "do" for this ridgeline please- we have never seen one this high on any of our 3 redfoots before.

Thanks for any advice and help in case we are doing something with him that may be causing this irregular growth.
KarenView attachment 155800
Hi there. I know its been over 3wks since this post. I see the line you are talking about.
Has it filled in with new growth.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi there. I know its been over 3wks since this post. I see the line you are talking about.
Has it filled in with new growth.

Thank you Anyfoot, for this follow-up. I've been doing what Yvonne G said and keeping some shell conditioner and coconut oil along the ridge lines. He has several. I haven't noticed them filling in, but we are in short-day, low-light conditions where we live right now, so their growth isn't very aggressive.

I'm going to continue to watch this area of his shell, though, and hopefully next spring we'll see some flattening and new growth filling in.

Have you seen these ridges and raised "bumps" on your torts before? If so, would you be kind enough to let me know what happened over time so I can watch? Thank you, and happy holidays! Karen

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you Anyfoot, for this follow-up. I've been doing what Yvonne G said and keeping some shell conditioner and coconut oil along the ridge lines. He has several. I haven't noticed them filling in, but we are in short-day, low-light conditions where we live right now, so their growth isn't very aggressive.

I'm going to continue to watch this area of his shell, though, and hopefully next spring we'll see some flattening and new growth filling in.

Have you seen these ridges and raised "bumps" on your torts before? If so, would you be kind enough to let me know what happened over time so I can watch? Thank you, and happy holidays! Karen
Hi Karen.

Yeah I saw them on one of my juveniles a few months back. Then over about a 6wk period they filled in with new growth. I came to the conclusion it was because he was going through a growing spurt.

Keep us posted please. Take note if s/he is going through a growing spurt.

Thanks. Craig.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi Karen.

Yeah I saw them on one of my juveniles a few months back. Then over about a 6wk period they filled in with new growth. I came to the conclusion it was because he was going through a growing spurt.

Keep us posted please. Take note if s/he is going through a growing spurt.

Thanks. Craig.

THANK YOU, Craig!!! - sometimes it is difficult for me to know what "wait a while" means with these guys. for 20 years I was a wildlife rehabilitator- worked mostly with indigenous bird species. Their metabolims are SO much faster than torts, of course, so my animal nurse clock is still tuned to the 2-hour window you have to diagnose and treat birds.

When something goes wrong with these redfoots, you can't notice it sometimes until it is well advanced in their little bodies, and then you have a week or two sometimes for the symptoms to fully develop so you can diagnose and treat appropriately, if at all. It freaks me out that we don't know the same week, so this example you gave me means a lot to me.

Growth spurt in a baby bird is 2 days. You are saying a growth spurt in a baby tort is 6 weeks- it's a good example that helps me a lot!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
THANK YOU, Craig!!! - sometimes it is difficult for me to know what "wait a while" means with these guys. for 20 years I was a wildlife rehabilitator- worked mostly with indigenous bird species. Their metabolims are SO much faster than torts, of course, so my animal nurse clock is still tuned to the 2-hour window you have to diagnose and treat birds.

When something goes wrong with these redfoots, you can't notice it sometimes until it is well advanced in their little bodies, and then you have a week or two sometimes for the symptoms to fully develop so you can diagnose and treat appropriately, if at all. It freaks me out that we don't know the same week, so this example you gave me means a lot to me.

Growth spurt in a baby bird is 2 days. You are saying a growth spurt in a baby tort is 6 weeks- it's a good example that helps me a lot!
Yep, tortoising is a slooooowwwwwww process. I am not the most patient person, but I am learning that everything in Tortoise world is in slow motion.
Don't forget mine was about 6wks from when I noticed the crevices between scutes. I could have overlooked it for a week or two.
Although I do look them over regularly.
I'll take a photo of the tort in question if you want. I was quite relieved when he filled in with new growth.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Yep, tortoising is a slooooowwwwwww process. I am not the most patient person, but I am learning that everything in Tortoise world is in slow motion.
Don't forget mine was about 6wks from when I noticed the crevices between scutes. I could have overlooked it for a week or two.
Although I do look them over regularly.
I'll take a photo of the tort in question if you want. I was quite relieved when he filled in with new growth.

That's very generous of you, thank you - would love to see the photos (all photos you care to share) of your torts! Thank you, Karen

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's very generous of you, thank you - would love to see the photos (all photos you care to share) of your torts! Thank you, Karen
The larger one was the one that had crevices. Growing faster than the others. In the close up you can see white growth lines. Although the flash on the phone had hidden it a bit.
IMG_20151211_192620.jpg IMG_20151211_193012.jpg

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
The larger one was the one that had crevices. Growing faster than the others. In the close up you can see white growth lines. Although the flash on the phone had hidden it a bit.
View attachment 158383 View attachment 158384

Thank you for this - it's EXACTLY what I'm seeing on my little one... I appreciate you taking the time to post these pictures, thank you, and for the reassurance that they are just growing and I can keep an eye on the movement between the "ridge lines" too. By the way, your torts are stunning.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you for this - it's EXACTLY what I'm seeing on my little one... I appreciate you taking the time to post these pictures, thank you, and for the reassurance that they are just growing and I can keep an eye on the movement between the "ridge lines" too. By the way, your torts are stunning.
Thank you. How often do you soak and feed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I learned about the benefits of shell spraying from Terry K, the RF keeper in TN. Spray the shell several times a day. This helps the new growth come in smoother on any species and works best in a humid closed chamber, since it doesn't dry as fast.

Tap water works fine, but it will eventually leave hard water stains. I use collected and filtered rain water. Distilled or RO water will also work for this.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Thank you. How often do you soak and feed?

Soak once or twice per day; humidity is kept up this time of year by covering the table with sturdy sheets of acrylic, except the opening between panels where the UVB and CHE are hanging. I just bought and installed some sliver bubble insulation, and a radiant heat panel along the sides to keep the air warm in the habitat- more of a viv now for the winter than an open table like I use in the summer.