New shell growth abnormal?

dusty

5 Year Member
I have a rescue tortoise who is in his late teens. He has lived with us for 8 years. Prior to coming to our home I was told he was fed chicken. We have corrected his diet, and after a rough first two years he has been in great health. His weight has remained the same and his bone density has improved.

The growth on his shell this year is odd. Anyone familiar? Know what it is? See attached picture. I drew red arrows at a few areas showing a ridge of growth.

IMG_2129.jpg

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
He looks dry but most adult RF’s I see have that ridge and it’s probably just more pronounced by his pyramiding. Not sure it’s odd but he could use a soak.

dusty

5 Year Member
He looks dry but most adult RF’s I see have that ridge and it’s probably just more pronounced by his pyramiding. Not sure it’s odd but he could use a soak.

Thanks for your input. I do give Rocky a bath every other day and he has pools in both his indoor and outdoor enclosure. His shell has been like that since he came to us. I put conditioner on him but a couple days later it is just that dry. My other red foot shell has a luster to it so I understand why you suggest this.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
In the profile options there is an area where you can put your location and it makes it so people don't have to guess where you're located. Putting in your general location makes it easier for us to give correct advice. For instance, if you're in Louisiana or Southwest Florida the indoor and outdoor water dishes are probably just fine because of the humidity in the air however redfoots require a lot of humidity and it may be that if you're in Ohio or Michigan that you may have a hydration issue. I see where your tortoise has had pyramiding which shows he was raised REALLY dry but also I see the symptoms of MBD(in this case the sagging in of his carapace) which is caused by a lack of sunlight and calcium supplements...

dusty

5 Year Member
In the profile options there is an area where you can put your location and it makes it so people don't have to guess where you're located. Putting in your general location makes it easier for us to give correct advice. For instance, if you're in Louisiana or Southwest Florida the indoor and outdoor water dishes are probably just fine because of the humidity in the air however redfoots require a lot of humidity and it may be that if you're in Ohio or Michigan that you may have a hydration issue. I see where your tortoise has had pyramiding which shows he was raised REALLY dry but also I see the symptoms of MBD(in this case the sagging in of his carapace) which is caused by a lack of sunlight and calcium supplements...

I will find that profile options section and update. I appreciate your input and explanation. I really care about my RFs. They deserve the best.

I am in upstate NY where it is very dry in the winter. Several years ago I updated his and my other tortoises indoor enclosure to have a semi enclosed 2x8 foot area for each. I hope this optimized his lighting, basking area, ventilation and a humidifier. When Rocky is active, but the weather is cold, he gets his exercise but stomping around several rooms. I know this makes his environment dryer for a couple of hours each day but as you noticed he first decade or so was not ideal. He could not lift up and walk properly when I first had him. He does and did have MBD but as I said the vet said his bone density has improved with time. His walk and lift are now very strong.

So, do you think I keeping him in his enclosure more to humidify him? I add calcium to his food, could I not be adding enough? Maybe changing both these things a little bit?

FYI it is hard to briefly covers years of history for Rocky, but his length, weight and over all shell condition has been roughly the same since he came to live with us, with the exception of the ridge shown in Picts. I could use shell conditioner more, but does that help or is that just cosmetic?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I will find that profile options section and update. I appreciate your input and explanation. I really care about my RFs. They deserve the best.

I am in upstate NY where it is very dry in the winter. Several years ago I updated his and my other tortoises indoor enclosure to have a semi enclosed 2x8 foot area for each. I hope this optimized his lighting, basking area, ventilation and a humidifier. When Rocky is active, but the weather is cold, he gets his exercise but stomping around several rooms. I know this makes his environment dryer for a couple of hours each day but as you noticed he first decade or so was not ideal. He could not lift up and walk properly when I first had him. He does and did have MBD but as I said the vet said his bone density has improved with time. His walk and lift are now very strong.

So, do you think I keeping him in his enclosure more to humidify him? I add calcium to his food, could I not be adding enough? Maybe changing both these things a little bit?

FYI it is hard to briefly covers years of history for Rocky, but his length, weight and over all shell condition has been roughly the same since he came to live with us, with the exception of the ridge shown in Picts. I could use shell conditioner more, but does that help or is that just cosmetic?
When I was in Ohio I used plastic wrap to enclose an area of the basement for my leopard tortoise. I think i would totally enclose his enclosure and hook up a humidifier or fogger to raise humidity...it's too late to correct damage that's done but redfoots are more comfortable in high humidity. I would also consider moving to Florida away from all that coldness...OH, WAIT, I DID!

dusty

5 Year Member
When I was in Ohio I used plastic wrap to enclose an area of the basement for my leopard tortoise. I think i would totally enclose his enclosure and hook up a humidifier or fogger to raise humidity...it's too late to correct damage that's done but redfoots are more comfortable in high humidity. I would also consider moving to Florida away from all that coldness...OH, WAIT, I DID!

Thanks, I will continue with efforts to increase humidity . And yes, I agree on FL, I really do think they might like florida better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the area where the tortoise lives is being kept too dry. Spraying doesn't do the trick. The substrate needs to be actually wetted with more water. Ideally, the tortoise should live outside where you can run the sprinklers for him daily.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a rescue tortoise who is in his late teens. He has lived with us for 8 years. Prior to coming to our home I was told he was fed chicken. We have corrected his diet, and after a rough first two years he has been in great health. His weight has remained the same and his bone density has improved.

The growth on his shell this year is odd. Anyone familiar? Know what it is? See attached picture. I drew red arrows at a few areas showing a ridge of growth.

View attachment 240136
That ridge IMO is new growth that is coming through and it’s better than the old growth. I have one that is worse than this. His new growth came through with a ridge just like yours. I keep mine in humidity above 80%. Plus his diet is better than the previous owner.
I think you need to make a bigger closed enclosure to maintain high humidity and offer more exercise. 4x8ft minimum.
Keep soaking and I think future growth will follow that ridges path.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is Walter. We’ve had him about 18 months now(I think).
You can see his new growth started as a ridge just like yours, Walter now has a 2nd growth ring coming that is level to the first ridge.
A156E37B-0A80-4BD6-BE4E-184FBDFC8E8C.jpeg FC067C0E-A0B3-4756-B30D-7A549B2F97CA.jpeg 3375921C-C24A-47D3-AE46-5FE529D6C211.jpeg 1132C5DB-674B-4738-898F-689CAA9C8D40.jpeg ACDDB63A-0E4D-418B-BCBA-B49C5B779DC5.jpeg B648B46D-C908-4531-AEBC-3F5D544BB3CC.jpeg

dusty

5 Year Member
This was Walter when we got him Oct 2016.
View attachment 240224

Thank you. I have increased humidity in the enclosure and use a sprinkler on part of his enclosure (as temperature permits). I will keep him wandering the house whenever he is active but outside is too cold. I agree that 2x8 is not large enough for a tortoise during the day. I really appreciate the pictures and info.