Advice on 2 year old Horsefield

Suthypie

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich
Hi everyone,

I need some advice as am worried for my baby female horsefield.

She hasn’t been acting her norm lately. She has already had her mini hibernation, usually lasting around 1 month. But for this past two months now, she is very lethargic, won’t eat. This has never happened before with the temps rising (UK) I’m an experienced owner as have two other torts both 14 years old. Never had any problems. They are both very active at the moment! Each of my tortoises are housed separately.
She will eat, if I wake her up. Otherwise she’ll just lay there for days without eating. Once she’s eaten she’ll go right back to bed.
I’ve started giving daily soaks to try and aid digestion as haven’t seen droppings for days.....

otherwise she looks healthy! Could she be compacted, or something stuck in her digestive system, worms? But then surely she’d refuse food?

I’d appreciate any advice..... :)

- temp of enclosure 30 degrees Celsius basking spot
- has Uv
- has occasional calcium supplements
-substrate is soil and mini wood chip mixed

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Sorry to hear that your tort isn’t well. You called her a baby.... how old is she?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

I need some advice as am worried for my baby female horsefield.

She hasn’t been acting her norm lately. She has already had her mini hibernation, usually lasting around 1 month. But for this past two months now, she is very lethargic, won’t eat. This has never happened before with the temps rising (UK) I’m an experienced owner as have two other torts both 14 years old. Never had any problems. They are both very active at the moment! Each of my tortoises are housed separately.
She will eat, if I wake her up. Otherwise she’ll just lay there for days without eating. Once she’s eaten she’ll go right back to bed.
I’ve started giving daily soaks to try and aid digestion as haven’t seen droppings for days.....

otherwise she looks healthy! Could she be compacted, or something stuck in her digestive system, worms? But then surely she’d refuse food?

I’d appreciate any advice..... :)

- temp of enclosure 30 degrees Celsius basking spot
- has Uv
- has occasional calcium supplements
-substrate is soil and mini wood chip mixed
Basking area needs to be 36-37. She might not be getting warm enough.

What is the overnight low temp?

What type of UV? The cfl type bulbs sometimes burn their eyes and this will make them hide all the time.

Soil should never be used for tortoise substrate. There is no way to know what composted material it is made of, and it could be something toxic. Soils typically have all sorts of additives too. This could be the problem.

What type of wood chips? Some are suitable and others are not.

Suthypie

Norwich
Ok. I might try increasing slightly.
Overnight low temp doesn’t drop below 10 d celsius.

I use the Pro RepUV spectrum coil bulbs.I’ve used these for well over a decade with no issues......she’s had them ever since I’ve got her..

I use soil and small wood chip substrate which comes packaged and approved for most reptiles including torts!

i got her out again today. Woke her up, gave her a bath, she ate some food then went back to bed.When she’s awake, her eyes are black and bright! Not swollen or runny...... I’m more concerned I haven’t found any droppings .....