Advice on Russian tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula44

5 Year Member
We got our Russian last week and I am not sure our enclosure us set up the best way. I have been looking through pictures on this site for ideas and I already know I'm going to add a couple of things like a slate piece near her basking spot, more foliage and possibly a small 2nd levelImageUploadedByTortForum1376064477.308117.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376064488.824365.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376064497.740749.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376064514.968926.jpg. my question is about her lighting. This enclosure was custom-made by someone who used it for a lizard. It's about 5'x2' at one end and tapers down to about 18" at the other. Was thinking of moving the basking light and UVB lights together at the narrow end and her hiding spot/fern at the wider end. Would the lights be ok together or should I keep them separate?

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Paula44 said:
We got our Russian last week and I am not sure our enclosure us set up the best way. I have been looking through pictures on this site for ideas and I already know I'm going to add a couple of things like a slate piece near her basking spot, more foliage and possibly a small 2nd level. my question is about her lighting. This enclosure was custom-made by someone who used it for a lizard. It's about 5'x2' at one end and tapers down to about 18" at the other. Was thinking of moving the basking light and UVB lights together at the narrow end and her hiding spot/fern at the wider end. Would the lights be ok together or should I keep them separate?

I'm not seeing a watet dish. Do you have one in there? They should always have one. Is the uvb a coil or compact light? If so I would defintely consider changing it for a tube. The repti sun is a good one.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Paula44

5 Year Member
I'm not seeing a watet dish. Do you have one in there? They should always have one. Is the uvb a coil or compact light? If so I would defintely consider changing it for a tube. The repti sun is a good one.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app
[/quote]

I do have a water and food dish in there, I was just soaking them. And I do have the repti-sun tubes, not coils. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the lights should be fine together. However, it might be better to have light over the whole enclosure so she will not want to hide away when in the darker end.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If it were mine, I would move one UV light toward the basking light on the right, perhaps at an angle. That basking light could be 100-150w, whatever it takes to get the basking area up to 95-100f. A slate under that will help.
You want the tortoise to absorb UV when they bask.
Then leave the second UV light 1/2 way down, and add a second bulb (perhaps lower wattage- 75w) near it. This way you spread out your UV but also warm up at least 1/2 of the enclosure and also brighten it up.
The left side can be your cooler side @ 65-70f.

No night heat, they need to cool down overnight.

If you add a second level, add a small light source up there too. I like feeding mine on the second level; easier to clean up remnants.

Make sure your substrate is at least partially coir or organic topsoil to hold some moisture. They need the underlayers to be moist (not wet), for burrowing
A row of stones, and a log partially submerged, make things interesting, and they like climbing over things.
That is a nice enclosure and you should be able to set it up nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.