Hiding spot issue?

Kelton

Location (City and/or State)
California
I just recently got a green tortoise and have had him for almost a week now. I’ve noticed that he chooses to stay in his basking spot to sleep after lights and heat go off at night. His hiding spot on the other end of his enclosure is large enough for him to fit in and turn a full 360 degrees in, but he chooses not to go willingly. At night I will pick him up and put him in front of the hide, to which he will eventually crawl into and sleep. Should I be concerned he chooses the basking area over the hiding spot? Or is this just normal?

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Congrats for being a new member here. We welcome you and are happy that you are working to make your tortoise happy and healthy.

We want to help you to give you accurate information. So we need more information from you.

There are lots of different types of turtles/tortoise and they all have different requirements to keep them healthy. We need to know what type of tortoise you have. Can you take some pictures and tell us more about your tortoise set up. Basking temperature, and non basking? Go ahead and give as much information, you will not bore us, it will only help.

Because we want to help you give your green tortoise have a good life.

Looking forward to your pictures and more info.

Kelton

California
Haha my apologies I meant greek tortoise! His basking temperature is around 95-100 degrees and his non basking is roughly 80 during day, low 70s in the middle of the night. He will stay comfortably in his hiding spot at night once I wake him up to move him over, but he seems to fall asleep on the basking spot and not want to move after it’s been turned off.