Advice welcome - best substrate for Hermann's tortoise brumation

stokesy

Location (City and/or State)
Wicklow
Hi folks, I have two spur thighed tortoise which I keep in separate enclosures. This year I was given a Hermann's tortoise, approximately 10 years old. I will hibernate it this winter. It won't settle in the insulated enclosure I built outside, refusing to dig down in the composted soil/sand mix I have put in it. Unless there is a way to encourage it to accept this setup (suggestions welcome!) I have decided to fridge hibernate it.

I'm wondering what is the best substrate if I go this route? Should I fill a plastic container with the same soil/sand mix, or is fir woodchip preferable for it to dig down into? Also, should I moisten this during brumation? Thanks for your help.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
You can check this thread (just in case you haven't seen it before): https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/

And if I remember, Tom recommended orchid bark (actually it's a fir bark) as brumation substrate. You can moisten it a little on start. And if I remember, there is no need to add moisture during brumation time. Woodchips is not the same as bark, by the way.

Using composted soil with sand is not a good idea, I think. Soil is good to support new life growth (especially when it's high in organic) and I suppose you don't really want to grow anything in the brumation container.

Reactions: Tom

stokesy

Wicklow
Hello!
You can check this thread (just in case you haven't seen it before): https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/

And if I remember, Tom recommended orchid bark (actually it's a fir bark) as brumation substrate. You can moisten it a little on start. And if I remember, there is no need to add moisture during brumation time. Woodchips is not the same as bark, by the way.

Using composted soil with sand is not a good idea, I think. Soil is good to support new life growth (especially when it's high in organic) and I suppose you don't really want to grow anything in the brumation container.
Hi Alex, thank you - that's great! I got some of that bark yesterday, will use that. I appreciate the reply :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi folks, I have two spur thighed tortoise which I keep in separate enclosures. This year I was given a Hermann's tortoise, approximately 10 years old. I will hibernate it this winter. It won't settle in the insulated enclosure I built outside, refusing to dig down in the composted soil/sand mix I have put in it. Unless there is a way to encourage it to accept this setup (suggestions welcome!) I have decided to fridge hibernate it.

I'm wondering what is the best substrate if I go this route? Should I fill a plastic container with the same soil/sand mix, or is fir woodchip preferable for it to dig down into? Also, should I moisten this during brumation? Thanks for your help.
As Alex said, I use orchid bark, aka: fir bark.

Soil and sand should never be used for tortoises. That is old outdated incorrect info. Here is all the correct info for you: