Hermann's moist substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickykayla

5 Year Member
I've read conflicting views on keeping a Hermann's substrate moist.

I have a 3 year old Hermann's and I currently mist his substrate as he seems to like it more for digging down into.

I've read that this could cause respiration problems, but I've also read to keep it moist and humid.

What should I do??

expo tort

5 Year Member
Moist is only the top layer is a little wet. When the soil is soaking is bad for your tort.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
the only part of the tort's hide that should be moist and humid is one that is over 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If it's lower than that, it could cause respiratory problems and illness. However, in the wild they do burrow to retain temperature and humidity, so a nice warm and humid hide in his enclosure will also be beneficial.

Personally, I have two hides for my baby Hermann's, Carl. One is a flower pot turned on it's side and buried about half way into his substrate, filled with dry sphagnum moss just so he can feel like he's "hiding" in there. The other is just a little dug out area of the substrate with a pile of sphagnum moss that I always keep nice and wet on top of it, right next to the basking spot so it stays at about 85 degrees all the time.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Spraying the substrate and keeping it slightly moist will not cause respiratory problems. There is also no need for it to be constantly maintained over 80 degrees. This is in fact much too hot at night and even at the upper side of the activity level for any of the Hermann's subspecies during the daytime.

Hermann's are most active when daytime temperatures are in the low 70's to low 80's with a basking spot of 90-105 degrees and night time temperatures 55-65 degrees. Under those conditions the ambient air humidity should be no lower than 55% for extended periods with an ideal range of about 60-70%. I spray babies twice daily and saturate and churn their substrate well once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.