Baby Hermann's Closed Chamber

jgallagher1886

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hello everyone,

I have two 5 month old Western Hermann's tortoises. I originally had them setup in a tortoise table
Substrate: Soil/Cypress Mulch
Lighting: 75W Heat Lamp and UVB bulb
I was able to maintain humidity of around 70-80% by daily misting, but now that the cold weather is here, the air in my house has become much dryer. I've setup a closed chamber using same substrate and lighting as tortoise table. Which would be better option - keeping them in closed chamber for the winter months or continuing to mist tortoise table and covering open portion at night to keep the humidity in? I've temporarily moved them to closed chamber but I don't want it to stress them out. Thanks.20231207_142134.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
It would be best to make a permanent cover for the table (e.g. to use portable greenhouse top or this plastic box from your photo and a bit of a tin foil). Mounting UVB and heat lamp might require some efforts, though: easiest option is to put the fixture on the mesh top but you have to check temperatures under the heat lamp (95F). If it's too hot you will need less wattage lamp or dimmer. With a greenhouse top you can still use the hook and adjust height.

What kind of a heat lamp and UVB light do you have?

Also, this tortoise table is a not large enough for adult tortoises (even for the smaller species like Hermanns) and keeping tortoises in pairs is not advised: they will stress each other constantly, especially in a small enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Best would be separated closed chambers. You can make what you have closed by adding the green house mentioned above or build two new enclosures.
Either way, closed is always better than a table for hatchlings. But not in pairs

jgallagher1886

PA
Hello!
It would be best to make a permanent cover for the table (e.g. to use portable greenhouse top or this plastic box from your photo and a bit of a tin foil). Mounting UVB and heat lamp might require some efforts, though: easiest option is to put the fixture on the mesh top but you have to check temperatures under the heat lamp (95F). If it's too hot you will need less wattage lamp or dimmer. With a greenhouse top you can still use the hook and adjust height.

Also, this tortoise table is a not large enough for adult tortoises (even for the smaller species like Hermanns) and keeping tortoises in pairs is not advised: they will stress each other constantly, especially in a small enclosure.

Hello!

Thanks for the quick response Alex.
My lighting: 75W heat bulb and a 10.0 23W UVA/UVB bulb.
I've taken your advice and covered the mesh area to make it more of a closed chamber. This setup is only for this winter - they will spend most of the time outside.20231207_151532.jpgme in an outdoor enclosure.

jgallagher1886

PA
Best would be separated closed chambers. You can make what you have closed by adding the green house mentioned above or build two new enclosures.
Either way, closed is always better than a table for hatchlings. But not in pairs
Thank you! If I move to closed chamber I will build them their own.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ok, with 75W bulb and this type of fixture (deep narrow dome) - watch basking spot temperatures closely.

Also, this enclosure is only 13-15 inches high (if I remember). This type of UVB lamp will be too intense for tortoise eyes on that height. T5 HO (high output) lamp (long straight fluorescent tube) will be safe and better option.

jgallagher1886

PA
Ok, with 75W bulb and this type of fixture (deep narrow dome) - watch basking spot temperatures closely.

Also, this enclosure is only 13-15 inches high (if I remember). This type of UVB lamp will be too intense for tortoise eyes on that height. T5 HO (high output) lamp (long straight fluorescent tube) will be safe and better option.
Thanks again Alex. Basking spot is just under 90F. I'll look into the UVB lamp you mentioned.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! If I move to closed chamber I will build them their own.
Even if you don't, they still need to be separated. They are living in constant stress and if it hasn't happened already, one will bully the other. You will see one not thriving as well as the other.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Because a coil bulb, halogen bulbs or mercury vapor bulbs are all damaging to tortoises.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
Even if you don't, they still need to be separated. They are living in constant stress and if it hasn't happened already, one will bully the other. You will see one not thriving as well as the other.
Would three in a huge area be okay or do you recommend keeping them separate no matter the number of tortoises?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would three in a huge area be okay or do you recommend keeping them separate no matter the number of tortoises?
Three can work. However, once they get big, if they are all males, they would need to be separated. Or if you had two males and a female, they would have to be separated. One male and two females can live together as long as the enclosure is big enough for 3.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
Three can work. However, once they get big, if they are all males, they would need to be separated. Or if you had two males and a female, they would have to be separated. One male and two females can live together as long as the enclosure is big enough for 3.
Thank you!