Closed Chamber and high humidity way to raise the tortoise

Jessica Yue

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, CA
I carefully read the care sheet in this forum. It looks like our forum suggests to raise the tortoise in a closed Chamber to maintain high humidity to prevent the tortoise to be pyramid in shell

my question is how long I should do this. Until the tortoise reaches 6 inches? 9 inches? Or I should put it in the closed chamber until it grows to full adult size and shouldn’t put it in a outdoor enclosure before that.

just note if I put it in the outdoor enclosure, the humidity is hard to maintain. Even if spray the enclosure, the humidity can only last several minutes and then it will be dry the humidity will go away. Also the temperature is hard to maintain too. It is usually very hot in the direct sun but much cooler under the shade.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The amount of time would highly depend on the tortoise species. A tortoise that only stays in an indoor captive environment will always benefit from higher humidity levels even when the tortoise become fully grown.

An outdoor tortoise enclosure should always have multiple wet areas (along with other things) and even a dedicated night time heat and humid box depending on the species of tortoise and whether or not they're getting enough heat and humidity in the environment they're being housed in.

Man-made mud pits and soaking ponds are also great outdoor enclosure additions to help keep tortoises well hydrated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most if not all are housed in a closed chamber until the age of 3 or so. Depending of species and size. Once out of closed chamber and into adult enclosure most still need humidity or humid hide.
However, during this time they can and should still go outside for about an 1/2 hour to an hour daily if possible. Providing shade, water, hiding places and if humidity is needed to be added, you can run a mister, sprinkler or just hose down the ground.