Advise on outdoor enclosure in the PNW

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
I saw that one too! I liked how that one had hard sides... I actually thought about asking a co-worker who is in portland right now picking it up for me.. $50 seems a lot more reasonable to spend and it looks like it's built really well.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
lynnedit said:
You can buy plexiglass at Home depot but it is more expensive.
I would contact a sign company, and glass supply store and ask if they sell it; they may cut the size you need.
If there is any way you can get a hold of twin wall polycarbonate, that's even better (twin walled, so better insulation).
Finally, Greenhouse plastic 6mm is very tough and you could use that on the PVC frame to get started. There is a guy who has a walk in Green house with this product on it, and he has basking lights, and an oil filled heater in a very cold climate for Redfoots! Amazing.

PVC is cheap. If there is any kind of recycling place, look there. Also check Freecycle and Craigslist. Or, check Home Depot. 1/2" PVC (look for the thinnest walled PVC, it's plenty strong and cheaper. You can get 8' or maybe 10' for under $2. If it won't fit in your car, bring a hack saw and cut it down to the size you need in the parking lot with a hacksaw, lol.
Home depot, ACE, or plumbing supply stores have all of the connectors.

Sometimes you can also get reasonably priced cold frames on CL as well from a private party. If you see one made with Solex, that is also a very good product.

Ok. I bought some stuff in an attempt to make something like yours... However, I think you should just come to the beach and save me the hours and hours of frustration!! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh good grief, you don't want my help. There isn't a square corner anywhere. Thank goodness for Silicone caulking to fill in the gaps. :p
You can do it! Just prep the ground so the base is even. ;)