1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

African sulcata help

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by dumbly, May 29, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. dumbly

dumbly New Member 5 Year Member

i have been given a 7year old African sulcata ( he’s very big so I’m not sure she is accurate ) the previous owner said they did not have he time or space for him.
    He’s done what I think is a brown wee... not sure if this is normal? He was fine all day but since the ‘brown wee’ he’s been very hissy and turning away.
    Any advice on being a new tort owner would be great....
  2. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    dumbly likes this.
  3. dumbly

Thank you, my main concern is the ‘wee’, is brown wee normal? I’ll read up as much as I can... Thank you again
  4. Maro2Bear

Probably. Make sure you are soaking every few days and providing plenty of hydration/humidity. The brown uriniation and being abit offish probably not connected at all. Just your tort settling in to a new home.

You might want to provide a few more details and pictures when you can and your location. Up state New York or southern Florida makes a difference, housed outside, inside, normal food consumption etc.
    dumbly likes this.
  5. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    It could be from its food it was given. Give Soaks and a proper diet and keep a close eye on him. Be sure he's not straining to pee. The brown could also be a dried blood color, looking more brown then red. This would be if possible stones. So do soaks, proper diet and water available and keep closer eye on him until all seems fine.
    dumbly likes this.
  6. Maro2Bear

A lot depends on food intake for sure.. lots of fresh yellow dandelion blooms will easily darken urine coloration. Really nothing to worry about. You can do extra deeper water soaks to ensure hydrstion is good.
    dumbly likes this.
  7. dumbly

Thank you.
    I’ve only had him one day, he spent yesterday outside as it was warm and sunny (I live in the U.K. so warm and sunny aren’t common!!) I’ve got the correct bulbs for inside and setting up a greenhouse in the garden for him for the colder days.
    He’s 16” long and the previous owner said 11kgs and not to bathe him, he has a bowl with water for drinking.
    I’ve provided hay, fresh grass and weeds inside.
    My garden is massive and secure round the perimeter so with me keeping an eye on him he’s safe to free roam the whole thing.
    I also have a 3 acre field with secure perimeter that he can move to when he outgrows my garden.
    Even though I’ve only had him a day he’s very much loved and part of the family and I just want to get it right
    katieandiggy likes this.
  8. katieandiggy

katieandiggy Well-Known Member

Suffolk, United Kingdom
    You may want to check out the night box threads on here. I can tell you now it will cost you an absolute fortune to heat a whole greenhouse in winter. You need a much smaller, shorter night box. There are some good threads on here I’m sure somebody can link. Sorry I’m on phone and don’t know how to.
    Jay Bagley and dumbly like this.
  9. vladimir

vladimir Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania
    The "don't bathe him" advice seems wrong. Have you given him a soak / bath at all since you got him? Welcome to the forum BTW [emoji846]
    Jay Bagley likes this.
  10. dumbly

No not yet as they said not to but reading on here it says I should, so I’m concerned as to what to do
  11. vladimir

vladimir Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania
    I've trusted what I've learned here and it has worked well for me. My sulcata is currently 8kg but we soak him 2-5 times a week. Fill up a plastic storage bin or some other container with 95F water, adding a few inches of water so he can soak comfortably.

Let him soak for 20-40 minutes, ensuring the water temp doesn't drop below 90F. If it does, replace the water with warm water as needed.

Sometimes a heat lamp helps with keeping the tortoise warm during the soak
    Jay Bagley and dumbly like this.
  12. dumbly

Thank you.

I will give him a soak later
    vladimir likes this.