Age estimate?

Dessy

Hello everyone :) I have a sulcata baby and i was wondering if you could help me determine his age? The pet shop i got him at told me he was about three months. Also the people that told me to buy a red heat lamp and feed him collar greens and strawberries...
So i don't know if that is an accurate age estimate. Here are some pictures i took on the first day i got him July 28, 2015 to now :) i want to know so i can throw him a birthday celebration.

Dessy

This month

1458828005948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Collard greens and strawberries is not a very good diet for a sulcata tortoise. I'm sure you've found the food lists by now, right?

Dessy

Yes i was just trying to imply that the pet shop owner didnt really know good information so i doubt that i could beliee anything he says

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see an egg tooth and just a single growth line. The tortoise in the first picture is less than 6 weeks old. I would guess it 3-4 weeks out of the egg in that picture.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I see an egg tooth and just a single growth line. The tortoise in the first picture is less than 6 weeks old. I would guess it 3-4 weeks out of the egg in that picture.
What is an "egg tooth"?

Also, that is one adorable sulcata! :) I hope s/he lives a long, healthy, and happy life with you, @Dessy!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In the picture you can see a tiny pointed whitish projection right below the nostrils. This "caruncle" or egg tooth is what baby chelonians use to help slice through the membrane in the egg and push open the shell. It drops off in 3-4 weeks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the picture you can see a tiny pointed whitish projection right below the nostrils. This "caruncle" or egg tooth is what baby chelonians use to help slice through the membrane in the egg and push open the shell. It drops off in 3-4 weeks

Just because I love discussing all things tortoise with you…

I was told a few years back that they reabsorb the egg tooth and that it doesn't fall off. What have your observations been? I just know the darn thing is gone after a few weeks.

Also, in some weird dry raised cases, I've seen the egg tooth last 6 weeks.

@Dessy , I hope you don't mind this little tangent on your thread. If we stretch just a little, I think its still relevant to your question and topic, right?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I was told a few years back that they reabsorb the egg tooth and that it doesn't fall off. What have your observations been? I just know the darn thing is gone after a few weeks.

@Dessy , I hope you don't mind this little tangent on your thread. If we stretch just a little, I think its still relevant to your question and topic, right?
Well, now I'll start having to pay more attention with my next hatchlings! Can't say I've every seen one that's "fallen off". nor have I noticed one that I saw getting smaller or dissolved. Like you, I just know it's gone in roughly a month!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Thanks to you both! Very informative. I always enjoy these little tortie tidbits! :tort: I did find this term here: http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/95.asp Good stuff!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, now I'll start having to pay more attention with my next hatchlings! Can't say I've every seen one that's "fallen off". nor have I noticed one that I saw getting smaller or dissolved. Like you, I just know it's gone in roughly a month!!

See! Now some serious hatchling tortoise egg tooth research can get under way!!!

Does the egg tooth fall off, or is it reabsorbed? Perhaps daily pics from hatching until the full disappearance of the egg tooth will answer this question? What if its different for different species?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ahhhhhh.....! I see!!!! So my baby Tucker was much younger than what the seller was saying! Just as I was suspecting! It all makes sense now! Dessy your baby sully is precious!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
See! Now some serious hatchling tortoise egg tooth research can get under way!!!

Does the egg tooth fall off, or is it reabsorbed? Perhaps daily pics from hatching until the full disappearance of the egg tooth will answer this question? What if its different for different species?
Are we talking about these: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459094947.755615.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459094962.515857.jpg???! These pics were taken a month after our babies were shipped to us. They were approx 1.5-2 inch carapace, and baby-Tucker had very fresh plastron scar from his yolk sac

Dessy

I dont mind one bit!

Dessy

Here are some recent pics!

Attachments

• 1459095955437.jpg
    1459095955437.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1459095983917.jpg
    1459095983917.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 18