Age our Sonoran Deserts

Balto

Got two from Arizona game and wildlife. They lady first told us that they both would be 1 year old come this Sept.....Even though we had never owned a tortoise, I didn't believe her. She called latter and said she was mistaken and they are both 4 or 5.

To me it seems the smaller one is younger and healthier? The smaller one has a smooth light colored she'll where as the larger one has a dark and already pyramid' n shell

Anyone able to ballpark age? Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It's impossible to tell their age . But I would gess 4-5 years old . Cause their still small at a year old . But they should start growing faster now . Mine area lot bigger now . By the way !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468219186.676874.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
they could both be the same age. if 1 is getting less of the food & the larger ones eating more even though they're both the same age the larger 1 would grow faster. there is no real way to tell the age but based on the pictures four 2 five sounds about right

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Cute little torts, though I think that the larger one is pyramiding. :( Please give them daily soaks in warm water; and make sure that there is enough humidity in the enclosures; especially if the climate back there is a dry one. ;)

One cannot tell a tort's age, I'm afraid.

Please keep them separated: torts do not like, want, need company.;)

And a warm welcome to the forum! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. No way to tell the age from looking at a picture. My best guess would be more than a year, but less than 10. Many factors influence their growth rate.

Most of the care info that is dispensed for these guys is old, out-dated and wrong. For example, they should never be housed as a pair, and outside all day long is not good for them as babies. Please read these for better care info. I typed up the care sheet for russians, but I house DTs identically.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the darker one is a Texas tortoise, not a Sonoran desert tortoise and is probably a year or two older than the lighter colored one.

Actually, both are starting to pyramid. Be sure to keep them in a more moist environment than you were told by the Arizona people. Even though they're from the U.S. they still hatch during the rainy season, and live their first year in more moist conditions that we were all led to believe in the olden days.