Aldabra breeding

waswondering

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello @ALDABRAMAN, I was wondering at what age can aldabras breed? what's is the most amount of females aldabras that you would be able to breed to 1 male aldabra? How old/big do they have to be before they can breed? If you have let's say 10 females that you have put with a male to breed, how many would lay eggs? When they lay eggs how many? And how many of those would likely hatch?
The reason I ask is I have aldabra that I want to keep in one cage but won't if they have a ton of babys because I'm not a reputable seller so I wont be able to sell any.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello @ALDABRAMAN, I was wondering at what age can aldabras breed? what's is the most amount of females aldabras that you would be able to breed to 1 male aldabra? How old/big do they have to be before they can breed? If you have let's say 10 females that you have put with a male to breed, how many would lay eggs? When they lay eggs how many? And how many of those would likely hatch?
The reason I ask is I have aldabra that I want to keep in one cage but won't if they have a ton of babys because I'm not a reputable seller so I wont be able to sell any.
If you can't sell babies and you don't want a bunch of babies then you need to keep the females away from the males. One male with the ten females would likely try to breed everyone and they have very large clutches. The hatch rate depends mostly on how well you care for the eggs. Having eggs is not cheap, a lot of work and even more work once they hatch.
I do hope you aren't keeping any Aldabras in a cage. They need land to roam not a cage!

waswondering

Arizona
If you can't sell babies and you don't want a bunch of babies then you need to keep the females away from the males. One male with the ten females would likely try to breed everyone and they have very large clutches. The hatch rate depends mostly on how well you care for the eggs. Having eggs is not cheap, a lot of work and even more work once they hatch.
I do hope you aren't keeping any Aldabras in a cage. They need land to roam not a cage!
Mine have an acre free to them. I have room for probably 70 adults because I own 15 acres. I want to breed aldabra but I dont wanna be in it for the money.

waswondering

Arizona
What upgrades have you made to make a climate like they need most?
I have a 10'x10' watering hole, 5 mud pit (that they made) and I planted trees so when the sprinklers go off it stays humid for about an 3 hours then the sprinklers go off again. The sprinklers start at 9 Am and end at 8 PM.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you don't have a cage, but land.
If you can't sell them though like you said, then you would be best to not put a male with females.
Maybe start out breeding one female. See how well you do with hatching and starting them out properly. The very first clutch you may not get good eggs if it's a first time breeder. You probably won't get a big first clutch either. Try it and see if the work is doable for that clutch and if you can sell them. Make your judgement from there whether you want to continue to breed. Then start out slow, not mixing a male with a bunch of females.
I don't know at what age they can breed, but I believe it's quite a few, like 10 or more I believe. Possibly more like 15 or more.
I see your in AZ. That will be harder work and more costly with such dry climate. Doable but costly.

waswondering

Arizona
Glad you don't have a cage, but land.
If you can't sell them though like you said, then you would be best to not put a male with females.
Maybe start out breeding one female. See how well you do with hatching and starting them out properly. The very first clutch you may not get good eggs if it's a first time breeder. You probably won't get a big first clutch either. Try it and see if the work is doable for that clutch and if you can sell them. Make your judgement from there whether you want to continue to breed. Then start out slow, not mixing a male with a bunch of females.
I don't know at what age they can breed, but I believe it's quite a few, like 10 or more I believe. Possibly more like 15 or more.
I see your in AZ. That will be harder work and more costly with such dry climate. Doable but costly.
Mine are still only 7 years old, but I'm planning for the future! Thanks for the information!